Chain lube for commuting

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited December 2014 in Commuting general
For three years I have used Muc-off wet lube, keeps the chain well lubed and free of rust when it's wet/salty but needs moderately frequent cleaning to prevent a build up of 'gunge'.

Decided to try 'squirt' wax but the damn stuff is useless as prevent the rust appearing.

So any suggestions on a chain lube that 'just works', keeping me free of the 'orange chain of shame' and not getting a build up of gunge?
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• Strangely, I got some of the Muc-off wet lube last weekend since it was on offer - thought I would give it a try when I clean the bikes this weekend.

Up to now I've mainly used the Finish Line ceramic lube (the gold coloured one). Works fine.

I degrease the chain, cogs, etc each week when I clean them so the gunge build-up doesn't really bother me.
  • FWIW, I use a hybrid approach. I use a double application (allowing to dry in between) of Squirt after cleaning a chain but then use Progold. The latter does a good job, IME, of preventing rust without build up of gunk and works with the Squirt to lube the chain until it is time to put it back in the white spirit (which is normally a longish time - 500-1000 miles, at a guess).

Yes, I may be overthinking this a bit...

_
  • Yes, I may be overthinking this a bit...

Quite possibly :)

Mon-Fri: Ride to work (fixed)
    Sat: Taxi service for kids
    Sun am: Club run (road bike)
    Sun pm: Clean fixed and road bike (and quite possibly wife's/kids' bikes), quick check-over each bike and fix things as needed, degrease chains/sprockets/jockey wheels, apply new lube stuff.

Maybe I'm over-routineing this a bit ...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll certainly try the option of an extra lube on the squirt to 'fill in the gaps', maybe I'm lazy but the chain gets cleaned about every 3 months which is about 250miles on the commuter as that is all it ever does (that's commuting as often as possible), the MTB gets more use and needs more cleaning per mile anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Wax in the summer, Finishline Green in the winter.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    How did you prep the chain for wax?
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    MichaelW wrote:
    How did you prep the chain for wax?
    For the first application, clean it with a chain cleaner, rinse, then clean with isopropyl, rinse and dry.
    For repeat applications just drop it in the wax.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I was using some wet chain oil from Halfords but this was rubbish so I've changed over to finish line wet chain oil but this is still messy as there's always build up on the jockey wheels that I have to clean every so often.

I'm going to start doing it more often if we have loads of cold weather to avoid the road salt from doing any damage.
  • I've started using Decathlon's Oilcan. I used to use FinishLine ceramic during the winter but found the black/gritty feeling chain just wore quickly, I started using Decathlons Oilcan after being recommended it last winter and now I use it all year round.

On the really wet/salt ridden rides, I add a little oil to the chain etc when I get to work (keep a bottle in my drawer) and I'm ready togo again. Evertything always cleans up nice again & I've seen my chains last longer!

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/chain-derailleur-oilcan-id_8236943.html