10 and 11 speed muti tool

Elijah2010
Elijah2010 Posts: 56
edited December 2014 in Workshop
hi been trying to buy a muti tool with a chain tool funtion that works on 10 and 11 speed chains ,wiggle said there isnt one they are aware of.can you advice me regards paul.

Comments

• Apart from this one that they sell.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-hexus-ii ... ulti-tool/
    :|
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Any chain tool will work to break a chain and simply carry a suitable quick-link. Monkeying-around with a joining pin in the cold and the wet at the roadside is asking for trouble.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Dippydog3 wrote:
    look in at the rewievs for this item on wiggle 3rd one down says it doesnt work with 11 speed chains this is one of the first ones i checked out regards paul.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    I have split kmc 10 and 11 speed chains before with a Lezyne sv10 (v10 is the cheaper version). But i am not sure they will rejoin them with a pin if you are using a shimano chain.

Split links are easier to work with as suggested above.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I've been using a Park Tool CT-5 for ages, on 10- and 11-speed chains, without any difficulty. Magic Links are preferable (more because they make it easy to remove the chain for cleaning) but the CT-5 has happily inserted a number of Shimano 11-speed joining pins.
  • 964Cup wrote:
    I've been using a Park Tool CT-5 for ages, on 10- and 11-speed chains, without any difficulty. Magic Links are preferable (more because they make it easy to remove the chain for cleaning) but the CT-5 has happily inserted a number of Shimano 11-speed joining pins.
    cheers mate ,where do you get the magic links from?
  • That multi tool worked fine on my 11 speed chains. I have used it on them several times.

Having said that, it seems you really just want a link. You will still need a tool to split the chain to fit the link. Also, the 11 speed links are a pig to open unless you use the special pliers for the job.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Without the passive aggression:

Links: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kmc- ... -prod25439
    Tool: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kmc- ... -prod46600

You can remove them without the tool (using normal pliers or a plumber's wrench, setting the jaws on opposite ends of opposing sides, but it's a pig if you do it frequently and the proper tool is only £8).
  • No need for a special tool to open the split link. Just move the chain to the big ring with the split link half way around. Shift the chain links on the right side of the link to the left by one link, such that the chain bunches at the link. Give it a tap with the back of your multi tool and the link will magically open. After all, your not going to carry the special pliers in your saddle bag.
  • No need for a special tool to open the split link. Just move the chain to the big ring with the split link half way around. Shift the chain links on the right side of the link to the left by one link, such that the chain bunches at the link. Give it a tap with the back of your multi tool and the link will magically open. After all, your not going to carry the special pliers in your saddle bag.
    hi mate thankyou ,do you know if there is a video of this so i know im doing it right sorry im new to this but willing to learn regards paul.
  • After all, your not going to carry the special pliers in your saddle bag.

I used to, but now I will not. Good tip, thanks.