'93 Kona Cinder Cone - upgrading

daviestar
daviestar Posts: 2
edited December 2014 in MTB general
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I'm not new to cycling, but I'm new to upgrading bike parts :)

I have inherited a beautiful '93 Kona Cinder Cone from my brother, this one:
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/Manufacturer+Archive/Kona/Catalogues/Kona+Catalogue+1993/8.jpg.html

I'm looking into suspension forks, but I'm unsure if this bike has a 1" or 1 1/8" headset (I know it's threaded). It seems '93 was the year Kona moved to the 1 1/8" standard, so my pre question is: what should I measure to find out?

1. I'm mainly looking to soften the ride, not trail riding forks. What spec will work for this bike? Just any that are threaded?

2. The bike is very light, so I'd like to find some forks which are light too. Any recommendations?

3. Is it possible to upgrade the cantilever brakes? V-brakes or disk brakes. If so, what steps would I need to take / keywords would I need to use when googling.

Thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't fit suspension forks, the frame isn't designed for them and you'll ruin the geometry and ride. Just get some larger volume tyres on their to add some cushion.

Swapping to disc brakes would be daft, if you want a modern MTB buy one, otherwise revel in what you have.

Best replacement for canti's is mini V-brakes as you can keep the same brake lever, change to V-brakes and you'll need new levers.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I don't mean to sound harsh but classic bikes like this should only be restored to the original glory, and then only ridden on sunny, dry weekends. Won't someone think of the Cooldads! :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    P1ss off. I bought a '96 Explosif frame yesterday and am busy sourcing random bits to get it out into the mud. No garage queens here.

Came standard with RS Judys and Magura hydraulic rim brakes. I've got Judys, but the brakes will have to wait.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want a bike with sus forks and disc brakes, sell the Kona and buy something more recent - the Kona's worth more in original condition rather than with some half-baked upgrades.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cooldad
    This is true but period mods are fine.

I think that's still 1" threaded. Some elderly contemporary RS will work, or similar.

Vs will be fine.

I'd ask on Retrobike. Once they've finished abusing you about the discs they'll probably be quite helpful

I use another name their so you won'y know if it's me.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    P1ss off. I bought a '96 Explosif frame yesterday and am busy sourcing random bits to get it out into the mud. No garage queens here.

Came standard with RS Judys and Magura hydraulic rim brakes. I've got Judys, but the brakes will have to wait.
    I have a set of the bright yellow race sets with QR and brace kicking about if you want them for free. Need a bleed I suspect.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

I have a set of the bright yellow race sets with QR and brace kicking about if you want them for free. Need a bleed I suspect.
    That would be most kind.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

That would be most kind.
    No worries.

Can post them out or meet you nr Guildford at lunch or after work if it's convenient as my work is only in Eashing.
  • cooldad
    I've PMd you. Happy to pick them up and buy you a thank you beer.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Just replied...