XT or DX Pedals for DH?

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Do Shimano DX pedals have any advantage over XT trail pedals for downhill? I need some new spd pedals for DH and wondering if it's worth spending more on DX.

Comments

• I know Welshkev had DX and liked them, but changed to the cheaper version when they broke as says they're exactly the same, just a bit heavier.

Depends what you're used to, the DX will have a bigger platform..
  • rockmonkeysc
    I don't think the platform really does anything other than make it easier to clip in a hurry, like the cage.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I'd go for the DX's. I've got both and the DX's cage adds that little bit more support and offers more grip both when clipped in and not. The DX's are also supposed to be stronger, the axle is definitely a lot more beefy on the DX's compared to the XT's. As you've said the DX's are the little bit easier to clip in to as well.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I use the XT trail pedals and the cage definitely helps clipping in a rush and I don't intend to ever not have them clipped.
    It's really the strength and mud shedding im worried about, they won't have an easy life and I don't want problems clipping if I put a foot down in mud during a race run.
  • peter413
    You might not intend to ride them unclipped but it does happen sometimes. When that happens the DX's are that bit better. IME they both handle the mud about the same.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    edited December 2014
    Everyone I know that has tried them says that DXs are better for downhill - bigger platform means more contact and easier to clip back in. Mud shedding, no more of an issue than usual. There's a reason that the majority of WC DH racers use DXs.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Crank Brothers Mallet DH.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    Crank Brothers Mallet DH.

Three times the price of Shimano with bearings made from cheese (and not a hard cheese).
    Tried CB Candy pedals before. Never again. I don't like the extra float either.
    I think I'm going for DX pedals.
  • Easier in and out and the best platform. But if you don't like the extra float then fair enough.

As for the build quality, you're only about three years out of date.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ilovedirt
    Easier in and out and the best platform. But if you don't like the extra float then fair enough.

Shimano - awesome quality, faultless reliability on pretty much everything they make
    vs
    Crank Bros - a company well known for making expensive, shiny products with patchy reliability at best, and little else.

Hmmm
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    Easier in and out and the best platform. But if you don't like the extra float then fair enough.

Shimano - awesome quality, faultless reliability on pretty much everything they make
    vs
    Crank Bros - a company well known for making expensive, shiny products with patchy reliability at best, and little else.

Hmmm

And yet Crank Brothers Mallet DH are the preferred pedal of just about every pro that rides clipless......... *

*and were, even in their days of questionable reliability.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Might come as a surprise but companies can turn things around. Nukeproof used to be shite... now look at them. What about Marzocchi too? Good, then crap and now good again. There's loads more. I hated my old Crank Bros 50/50s, in fact they're the worst pedal I've ever used, but I wouldn't judge their latest models on that bad experience from years ago.

On the flip side most pros get their stuff for free and it only has to last a few races, if that.

Anyway, the Mallet DH pedals get decent reviews I think I'd be considering those or Funn Mamba. However out of XT and DX, I would go DX for DH use and XT for anything else.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt wrote:

vs

Hmmm

And yet Crank Brothers Mallet DH are the preferred pedal of just about every pro that rides clipless......... *

I don't know where you've been looking, they pretty much all use DXs...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Might come as a surprise but companies can turn things around. Nukeproof used to be shite... now look at them. What about Marzocchi too? Good, then crap and now good again. There's loads more. I hated my old Crank Bros 50/50s, in fact they're the worst pedal I've ever used, but I wouldn't judge their latest models on that bad experience from years ago.

On the flip side most pros get their stuff for free and it only has to last a few races, if that.

Anyway, the Mallet DH pedals get decent reviews I think I'd be considering those or Funn Mamba. However out of XT and DX, I would go DX for DH use and XT for anything else.
    Nuke Proof - USA company that went under years ago = different company to Nukeproof - a company dreamt up and owned by CRC. You should have said Saracen ;)

I'll use Crank Bros kit when they're visibly producing decent kit. Crap components years ago followed by crap marketing now means I'm not going to buy into them. A few forum comments aren't going to change my mind that they're guff.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Likewise, a few moaning forum comments wouldn't put me off a product.

I'm too moto for clips anyway :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    ilovedirt wrote:

vs

Hmmm

I don't know where you've been looking, they pretty much all use DXs...

Generally in the pits at DH races.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Minnaar and Peat use Mallets, Ratboy uses DX, Sam Hill NP flats.

Each to their own.
  • Danny Hart - Mallets
    Gwin - HT Pedals
    Brosnan - Mallets
    Brook MacDonald - Mallets
    Gee Atherton - Mallets

Hmm.
  • Dont get me wrong, id use DX's as it comes down to price. But I ride flats anyway, so use neither.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Pro's use the pedals their sponsors tell them to use. Do any Shimano sponsored riders use Mallets? Do any SRAM sponsored riders use DX?
    Northern Monkey, if you have never tried spds for DH give them a bash. I was surprised at the advantage they give, there are lots of places I can pedal on spds but not on flats because of the risk of my foot bouncing off a pedal. There's also the advantage of a quicker sprint off the line in races (the reason they are so popular in 4x and BMX)
  • Yeah tbh I want to give them ago again, tried them for trail probably 5 years ago but never got on with them.
    Canyon is away for winter now so am just on the HT, so might reconsider in the new year.

Not sure who's sponsored by who, just went off the bike checks on the manufacturer webby.
    Santa Cruz Syndicate are sponsored by shimano, but only Ratboy uses DX pedals. Peaty and Minnaar use Mallets.
    I imagine its just preference more than anything..
  • peter413
    The other big difference between Mallet's and DX's is the cleats. I usually get about a year out of Shimano cleats. I know someone with Mallets and he needs new cleats every month or two. I also found Time to be similar. Both Time and Crank Bros cleats cost more than SPD cleats as well.

Looking at what the pros run is pointless due to sponsors as has been said.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    For what its worth, I find the plastic cage of the DX pedal copes better with pedal strikes better than the cheaper metal caged versions. The plastic seems to skid over the rocks and roots while the metal digs in and really saps your speed.

The only time I've had issues with the DX cage getting clogged up is when riding in the snow otherwise in muddy conditions the mud is normally squeezed out the way when you try and clip in.

The cage while no substitute for a proper flat pedal is useful when in the heat of the moment you can't quite get the foot to click back in.