Let me tell you how much road tax I pay!

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited December 2014 in The cake stop
I've just received my itemised income tax bill for the year. It turns out I pay eight hundred million billion squillion quid on transport, which was a lot of money when I was a kid. So I do pay road tax!
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    But there is no thing as Road Tax.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    nicklouse wrote:
    True, but if you don't pay it then you can't drive your car on the road. So effectively it is road tax, it's just not called that.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    True, but if you don't pay it then you can't drive your car on the road. So effectively it is road tax, it's just not called that.

There are many drivers on our roads in cars that are zero rated for 'road tax'. Should they not be on the road?
  • Stevo_666
    dodgy wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

There are many drivers on our roads in cars that are zero rated for 'road tax'. Should they not be on the road?
    I knew someone would come up with that little gem. They've paid their road tax, which just happen to be zero...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Agreeing that something doesn't exist then say it does doesn't really help.

It's not effectively anything, especially not a tax to use roads. My car doesn't automatically stop working on roads when I've paid my VED a day late.

It's VED ffs :roll: based on emissions ffs :mrgreen:
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I think he's just someone who likes an argument. I don't come to cycling forums to hear cyclists tell us that Road Tax is a 'thing', get enough from that in pubs and the workplace from Daily Mail reading nutters as it is.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    NeXXus wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

It's not effectively anything, especially not a tax to use roads. My car doesn't automatically stop working on roads when I've paid my VED a day late.

If only that were true.
    Living MY dream.
  • Stevo_666
    NeXXus wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Try not paying your VED then try driving on public roads and you'll see why it is effectively road tax :wink:
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Try not paying your VED then try driving on public roads and you'll see why it is effectively road tax :wink:
    I have, my car didn't stop working or anything :lol: So it neither allowed me to drive nor prevented
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Stevo_666
    Ooh you're such a rebel. I think you know the point I'm making, but please do carry on not paying :wink:
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    NeXXus wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

It's not a road tax though, it's a tax to let you drive your vehicle off private land. That just happens, once every now and then, to be on a road :D
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Do cars in the UK have to have VED even if they are parked in the driveway with the engine removed, zero emissions tax?

I don't pay VED here as motorbikes, trikes and quad bikes are exempt from this and no MoT's either, well dangerous :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    team47b wrote:
    Do cars in the UK have to have VED even if they are parked in the driveway with the engine removed, zero emissions tax?

In this case you make a SORN, no need to tax it :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Stevo_666
    arran77 wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Good point Arran, to avoid paying 'road tax' you need to file a Statutory Off Road Notice. Now why would they call it that? :wink:
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I thought the UK did motor tax, not road tax?
    Do cyclists, pedestrians, etc have to pay it? Does it vary by engine size and/or emissions?....or is it a blanket tax for going on the public roads?
    What is it called?
    These should all provide useful guidance.......it's hardly complicated!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Do cyclists, pedestrians, etc have to pay it? Does it vary by engine size and/or emissions?....or is it a blanket tax for going on the public roads?
    What is it called?
    VED - Vehicle Emissions Duty.
    Varies by emissions.
    VED.

So, it is not a road tax, but it is illegal to take a vehicle producing emissions (above 100g/km) on to the road without paying it. Or, you could buy a car made before 1974.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    What is it called?
    Varies by emissions.
    VED.

So, it is not a road tax, but it is illegal to take a vehicle producing emissions (above 100g/km) on to the road without paying it. Or, you could buy a car made before 1974.

Legalised taxation and totally stupid but because people have little understanding of emissions they accept it.
    They wanted a reduction in Co2 which was complied with to the level of exhaust gases being less out of the exhaust than the air going into the engine but its fake.
    DPF filtration costing thousands and saving nothing, this is something that makes me sick because I truly believe we should be doing something genuinly good for the environment rather than making bull5**t taxes which do nothing.
    Living MY dream.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Good point Arran, to avoid paying 'road tax' you need to file a Statutory Off Road Notice. Now why would they call it that? :wink:

The clues in the name isn't it :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    What is it called?
    Varies by emissions.
    VED.

Is it not Vehicle Excise Duty?

Fact remains the same though, it's only a tax on vehicles creating a certain level of CO2 emissions who are using the road and certainly isn't an entitlement to use the road or income to pay for roads as so many scarily ignorant motorists seem to think. Using their rationale in reality no one should be able to drive on a road outside the area in which they pay Council Tax.
  • pblakeney
    Pross wrote:
    Stop using facts to get in the way of a good explanation.
    If you look at the Government web pages, they don't even refer to VED, only Vehicle Tax.
    https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

If we use Vehicle Emissions Duty often enough it may get into the subconscious.
    It works on two levels.
    1. It is factually correct as payment is based on emissions.
    2. Even thicko drivers would then comprehend why cyclists would not have to pay it.

I will continue my one man battle.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Stop using facts to get in the way of a good explanation.
    Sums up so much of what goes on in these forums (fora?). :mrgreen:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I will continue my one man battle.
    Do you not have a little friend?
    Donquixote.JPG
  • pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Do you not have a little friend?
    I have a friend.
    He is not so little.
    scarface_say_hello_to_my_little_friend.jpg
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    VED is Vehicle Excise Duty - it is a fee to keep, not necessarily drive, a vehicle on the roads. Different vehicles are rated at different levels of duty, and one of the possible rates is zero.

"Road Tax" is surely some part of the small amount of my income tax that is categorized as "transport" in my itemized statement - along with other forms of transport such as building cycle paths
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er