What front derailleur is this ?

generalcyclist
generalcyclist Posts: 28
edited December 2014 in The workshop
Hi. Could anyone tell me what derailleur this is ?

Or suggest a suitable replacement that's not too expensive.

I presume there are factors I have to consider when buying a replacement, such as :
band-on or braze on ? can I use both ?
Can I only use a derailleur that is marketed as for '8 speeds' ? (Can't use 9 speeds ?)
My outer ring has 53 teeth
Can I use either a MTB or Race ? (not just one type or other ?)
Anything else I need to consider ?

I have no cycling knowledge.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any Shimano road bike front mech, 7 or 8 speed are the same, 9 speed will work just fine.

There will be a model number on it, an R and three numbers.

You need a clamp on to the same size you currently have.

Could be a Sora, looks very similar to the 9 speed Sora I used as a chain guide.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    ANY clamp on mech with the correct diameter and suitable for 7/8/9 speed should work just fine. It doesn't need to be Shimano. But there are shed loads of cheap Shimano ones available. You might even get one from the classifieds here. Don't be tempted to get a 10/11 speed one though. The chains for that are narrower, and so are the cages for the front mechs, and you might get a bit more rubbing.

BUT as you say you have no cycling knowledge - why not just ask your LBS to fit a new one for you? Or even give the one you've got a good clean with some degreaser and then lubricate it a bit. Might work wonders :wink:
  • Thanks for the replies. Looking at the Wiggle site etc, trying to understand derailleurs can seem daunting. Especially when you buy stuff and it's not compatible.

Unfortunately a fixing pin fell out of this one. I tried fitting a nut and bolt with no success (it doesn't tighten), but since there are so many inexpensive derailleurs I guess it's better to probably buy a new one.

Any advice on inexpensive suitable deraillers ? I guess it's mostly between Shimano and SRam ?
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    If it's a road bike an MTB one won't work. Look at Sora or Tiagra.
  • The Rookie
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

• Thanks. I would have picked that but already bought this.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sach ... -prod88313

But I am now thinking I won't be able to fit it

1 : The bottom of the cage touches the big ring cogs when in 3rd gear
    2 : I can't raise the clamp because of a fixing bolt on the down tube.

Question to everyone :
    Can I fit this derailleur or is it not possible ?
  • The Rookie
    Just file some material out the clamp so you can raise it up.
  • Thanks. Your advice worked.

It's pretty precarious though (not the clamp ... the chain rubbing the sides etc)

I think I will use it for now and order a Sora
  • Perhaps I should also add :

It's got flat bars (a racer with flat bars)
    It's 8 speed
  • The Rookie
    Chain rubbing the sides is poor setup, although that unit doesn't appear to have the steps in the sideplates to help with this that a Shimano mech will have.