Missus wants nice wheels

jlowdo
jlowdo Posts: 48
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I;ve had some great advice which has helped me sort of out my current build. but now i a have a problem that i obviously want to save money on.

We went to out local Spesh store ( ok, i know everyone hates them ) but wanted to buy a new bike that my wife can do 5 hour rides on without being a moany old witch. so, i decided on a Roubaix SL4 for her, she ummed and arred about the Ruby but i convinced her to buy a proper bike. so she has a new Roub coming.

Problem is, she is obsessed with deep rim wheels, and to keep the price down ( and also they don't really do them as standard on a roub less than £4k ) i bought a mid priced one and said we will get her some nice rims...

so, 40mm+ rims, for a bird that doesn't really need them.... i was thinking Mavic cosmic carbones.... any ideas for a cheaper option??? cheers
James

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    I think I'd advise getting a new husband...
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited November 2014
    Dont skimp on your missus, get her some really deep rims if thats what she likes.
    What bike/wheels does she currently have?

Can you post up some pics when its done :wink:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    so much wrong with this thread.....
  • Anonymous
    Imposter wrote:

Spoilsport :lol:
  • You want her to be safe, Mavic C 40 are the safest carbon clincher rims out there and among the best looking... get the wallet out and buy her a pair

http://whosatthewheel.com
    left the forum March 2023
  • get the wallet out and buy her a pair

:shock:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Carbonator wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Spoilsport :lol:

Even Dr Phil couldn't sort this thread out :(
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I hope your wife does not read this thread!
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I hope your wife does not read this thread!

Nah, she'll be too busy on mumsnet
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    This is a good deal on a pair of Miche SWR RC carbon clinchers

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1700834/produ ... ArJX8P8HAQ

They got a great review on road.cc

http://road.cc/content/review/122172-mi ... her-wheels
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    from personal experience get her something bullet proof for when she rides through pot holes and something that is easy to get tyres on/off. Mavic carbone
  • You're concerned about price yet you pushed her into buying a Spesh? wtf man.
  • hammond1975
    hammond1975 Posts: 948
    edited December 2014
    It would be a lot better to ride on a decent hand built standard section wheels.

Plus they will be lighter
  • Anonymous
    You're concerned about price yet you pushed her into buying a Spesh? wtf man.

Think it was always going to be a Specialized, just a matter of which one ;-)
  • Anonymous
    It would be a lot better to ride on a decent hand built standard section wheels.

No it would not, she likes deeper section ones.

Being serious for a minute (if this thread actually is). Why not just get some Racing Quattro's for now.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I gave mrs Mpatts my old AC Aero's. They look great and she loves them.

I also love my new wheels :D
    Insert bike here:
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    LegendLust wrote:
    This is a good deal on a pair of Miche SWR RC carbon clinchers

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1700834/produ ... ArJX8P8HAQ

I'm not sure if his missus would appreciate being directed to a shop named "Fat Birds" :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Deep black ring your thing? Just be aware that at the moment they will get really mud-splattered. (ffnnarr)

Serious suggestion in the link:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WPPXC45T/p ... 6986186e5f
  • jlowdo
    Sorry for the unintended amusement/annoyance i have obviously caused a lot of people with this thread, I simply wanted to know if there was a relatively cost effective ( and safe obviously ) option to keep her happy as she wanted something primarily for form over function ( another reason to keep the cost down ).

Thanks to those that provided advice, i was thinking Mavic would be the best option.

And regarding the overpriced bike, it's only overpriced if you pay anywhere close to the RRP, surely if you are getting it about 50% off, and she likes it, then thats good enough? Granted, it's not an absolute steal, like for instance the De Rosa Protos :)

thanks. signing out
  • jlowdo
    thanks for the Planet X link. although they are only tubs, I think...
  • Anonymous
    Amp Hoops
    Superstar Components

Both cheap, deep, carbon clinchers. Had no issues from my Amps.

Planet X do also sell 50mm clinchers with alu brake tracks
  • The PX ones come in clincher too (same price - on the same page, select the option on the right).

I have cosmic carbones, the PX wheels have the wider rim that is supposed to go better with 25mm tyres, and they are a lot cheaper.

Don't worry about our Viz style double entendres. A bit of laughter makes the day pass much more pleasantly!
  • jlowdo
    Thanks.. I enjoy a bit of Finbarr Saunders as much as anyone else :) more thinking of the 'are you taking the p**s' type comments. I guess i asked for it ;)

The Planet X does look like a good option, seems to be a lot of feedback around build quality though, which is a bit worrying..

And women being women ( ok, a generalisation i know ), she is going to get a lot more use out of something she likes the look of. why do you think they torture themselves with trying to walk round in high heeled shoes.

Was a genuine question, as my limited time on this forum has helped me make some good choices.Which i am grateful for.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Try and tempt her with Fulcrum Quatrros, theyre 38mm sections and look excellent and roll even more excellent-er. Theyre a good compromise and wont cause too much bother in side winds unless you want her being blown out in front of traffic in stronger winds in which case i suggest a solid HED rear wheel and zipp 808 on the front :wink:
  • jlowdo
    Thanks. been looking at the quattros a bit earlier... i don't want anything that will knock her into the side of a car obviously, and the cosmics are 52mm... i did get greeted with 'have you ordered those wheels for me yet?' when she got home, so a night of internet cramming is in order..

I saw on our email that she had ordered some speedplay zero's today, so at least at this stage i know she is 'energised'... Just want to get the right balance between form, price, quality and necessary performance to make sure i can go for weekend rides with my wife, with or without my mates... preferably with ( wife that is ).

cheers
  • jlowdo
    re the speedplay, i had her on the turbo last night with one foot in SPD-SL and the other on the Zero's... just to test..
  • Anonymous
    What bike does she have at the moment? She sounds pretty keen!

Why is she ordering the speedplays, but not involved with the wheels?

What has her kit got to do with whether or not she can ride with you and your mates?
  • imposter2.0
    jlowdo wrote:
    re the speedplay, i had her on the turbo last night with one foot in SPD-SL and the other on the Zero's... just to test..

I thought we'd stopped with the innuendos..?
  • Anonymous
    Not being a Specialized expert, but isn't the Ruby a female specific Roubaix?
    Why do you feel the Roubaix is a 'proper' bike, but the Ruby isn't?
  • imposter2.0
    Probably because the Roubaix is a man's bike - and men ride proper bikes....or something...
This discussion has been closed.