661 recon stealth

divingmoose
divingmoose Posts: 540
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi
Anyone got or had one of these helmets as looking at getting one. Get good reviews and just wondered what people think
Cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I tried one. Didn't fit me but seemed ok. Not the best finish or lining but reasonable.
  • I tried 2 diff sizes on and it just looked terrible, not very flush fitting. Just sat on top of my head.
  • I have one, it fits me perfectly, has been in regular use for two years and the padding and shell are both in excellent condition.

The fit is very similar to Giro helmets so if you have a Giro shaped head then you'll be fine with a 661. Well worth trying as fit is the big deal with helmets.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    The fit is very similar to Giro helmets so if you have a Giro shaped head then you'll be fine with a 661. Well worth trying as fit is the big deal with helmets.

I have a Giro Hex which fits very nicely, the 661 Recon just wasn't right for me.
    It is very important to try for fit, helmets are one thing I always buy from my local shop so I can try them on.
  • The fit is very similar to Giro helmets so if you have a Giro shaped head then you'll be fine with a 661. Well worth trying as fit is the big deal with helmets.

I have a Giro Hex which fits very nicely, the 661 Recon just wasn't right for me.
    It is very important to try for fit, helmets are one thing I always buy from my local shop so I can try them on.

S'funny, I went straight from the Hex to the Recon with no issues at all. It was POC, Fox, Bell and others I had real issues with (I was stood in Pedal & Spoke going from helmet to helmet - best way to do it as the difference is just so immediately obvious!).

And yes it is! Hence why we agree on that.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Not all that impressed with the 661. I used it for a year before giving up and getting Bell Super, which is a much better lid.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I've got one and I like it, however as has been said its a very personal choice so there will be a lot of differing opinions.
  • The Recon is the best helmet I've used...but as has been said before its whatever suits/fits you that's important not the brand name. I've used Giro before and there is nothing wrong with them but they don't really fit me.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Had one for my birthday a few years back, didn't try before I asked for it and while on paper it looked spot on in practise it was pretty awful. Never fitted properly and even when I got it close to fitting properly the adjustment system at the back of the helmet was pants and never stayed put. Moved to a Troy Lee A1 and never looked back.
  • Not all that impressed with the 661. I used it for a year before giving up and getting Bell Super, which is a much better lid.

Why?

I have the 661 and it's great for me.
  • Angus Young
    edited December 2014
    chrisw333 wrote:
    Not all that impressed with the 661. I used it for a year before giving up and getting Bell Super, which is a much better lid.

Why?

First, it's not nearly as substantial as I'd imagined from the pictures (bought on line without seeing it in the flesh), something that was further highlighted by the superior build of the Bell Super. The Bell is clearly a better built lid - but then again, it should be as it cost more. Second, the fit is not great, never was that comfortable (but, of course, this might not be the case for everyone). At first I put this down to needing to get used to wearing a lid, so I gave it a pass, but it never got any better. Again the Bell is way ahead on this one - not only more comfortable but also reassuring in the way it hugs your head. Even my girlfriend's cheap Uvex is far more comfortable and before I got the Bell I was reaching for that in preference to the 661 if she wasn't riding. Thirdly, I feel safer in the Bell, though not having had call to put this to the test this impression is based on nothing more than a subjective impression. And, finally, while the 661 is a great looking lid in isolation, strangely, once you put it on your head it looks really dorkey. While this is not a big deal, after all, anyone who's worried about how they look probably shouldn't be mountain biking in the first place, it is a little disappointing given how nicely designed the 661 is when you hold it in your hands. Over all, just a little disappointing given my initial expectations.
  • OK

Just to counter balance this, mine fits extremely snugly and to my mind feels sturdy and comfortable - so this is clearly a personal thing and not down solely to the product. I also like the look and think the build quality is good too, but I have not tried the Bell.
  • Angus Young
    chrisw333 wrote:
    OK

Just to counter balance this, mine fits extremely snugly and to my mind feels sturdy and comfortable - so this is clearly a personal thing and not down solely to the product. I also like the look and think the build quality is good too, but I have not tried the Bell.

Despite what I've written above, I can't say it's a 'bad' lid, as such. I guess it just didn't live up to expectation for me. So, yes, agreed, this is very personal and subjective.
  • chrisw333 wrote:

Why?

Stuff

All of which proves that you need to try before you buy.

The 661 is the business for me.

So, once again, the message to the OP is try as many different helmets as you can before you buy, you WILL find one that is clearly more comfortable than the others.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    I thought the build quality wasn't great on the 661 helmet I tried on. Like all 661 kit it's definitely built down to a price but it is cheaper than some of the better quality alternatives.