BtWin vs Calibre 22

mortnoct
mortnoct Posts: 4
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys!

One of those usual boring threads, but since cannot find a decent answer anywhere:

About me:

Serious rider, not for sports, but for commuting and travelling: hit about 300 miles a month
Ride on bumpy, bad condition roads at high speeds, bad weather and totalled already 2 road cycles in 8 months, which is why I decided to go for MTB

Bikes I am considering:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-50 ... 08677.html

Pro:
Really like the design
Want to try out full suspension
Expect it to perform well on rough roads
Good Price

Cons:
Mechanics Brakes
Since it is a cheap full suspension I expect faults soon

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-two ... ke-p275612

Pro:
Like the design
Heard good reviews, expecting the bike to last long
Good Price

Cons:
Not sure about the size? They have 20 inch frame and I am a 6'4 lad

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-52 ... Advantages

Pro: Seems sturdy
Cons: Worse specks than Calibre?

Also checked out the woodoo, but did not like the design so I think it is a no. So what could you recommend folks?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very different bikes, very much a personal decision.

I ride extensively on poor quality roads and from choice if get a 29" wheeled hybrid, have a look at the Voodoo Marasa at Halfords or the Boardman MX range, the former is rigid but the tyres give you quite a but of cushion, the latter has short travel forks.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Both are hardtails - not FS. Hard to pick them apart.
  • The Rookie
    Not sure about both, one of the three is an FS, can't access the specs though as the crummy decathlon website doesn't work in all browsers.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I recently chose between the RR 520 and the Calibre. Went for the RR on the basis of previous experience with Decathlon, having had no experience at all of shopping with Go Outdoors.

Spec for spec, the Calibre is better. It is well reviewed too.

But we're pleased with the 520, does its job well. The fork is a bit meh, as you'd expect at that price point (in particular the lockout doesn't really lock out very solidly).

If all you're thinking about is riding it on the road, perhaps a hybrid would be a better option? Or you could do what I did a couple of years ago and get a 29er MTB so that you can put narrower tyres on (readily available, as a 29er is the same 700c wheel size as a hybrid / road bike) and roll that bit more effortlessly.

I can't see that the 500S would be a good option for riding on the roads to work, no matter how bumpy they are.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Rookie
    larkim wrote:
    The fork is a bit meh, as you'd expect at that price point (in particular the lockout doesn't really lock out very solidly).
    Oops, it's not meant to, better forks have hydraulic lockout which is not a fixed lock like the cheap and nasty (meh?) forks have.......I'd be happy having the better forks if I were you!
  • supersonic
    Didn't see the last option - best entry level full susser there is.
  • Thanks for the responses folks!

Somewhere I read in forums that I should check out StartCycles and actually I found some great deals there and some financing as well, so mine budget increased to 450 max :)

What do you think about this one:

http://startcycles.co.uk/bikes/mountain ... rettyPhoto

http://startcycles.co.uk/bikes/mountain ... rettyPhoto

An this one aswell!

Thanks for the responses!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The GT has a nasty horrible fork and is pointless. The Scott is marginally better, but not much.

Perhaps you were on the wrong forum?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    Not in the same league as the other bikes.
  • Hmm, was this forum, some lad said that they have some nice deals and should check them out!

I was really considering the GT bike, what do you mean by pointless and horrible fork?

I think I will go then

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-52 ... 93188.html

Hydraulic brakes are much better in strength :)
    supersonic wrote:
    Not in the same league as the other bikes.

So GT is not in the same league as btwin, so basically it is decided I will go for 520 will post a full review later :)
  • supersonic
    The Suntoue XCT fork on the GT is the worst fork I've ever used. No damping, weighs nearly 6lbs and has a rebound faster than a box of springs dropped in a trampoline factory - and a huge top out clunk.

The 520 is a lovely bike for the money. Hydraulic fork and brakes, superb shimano drivetrain.
  • The Rookie
    HEADLINE: Supersonic criticises a GT, is that the first time ever?

More seriously, you wouldn't drive a car at speed across rough ground with no shock absorber (damper) fitted, so why would you do it on a bike, The XCT are not the worst fork on sale, but they are the worst one fitted to a bike claiming to be a proper mountain bike. (first time round Cannock my daughters bike had steel lowers.......)
  • As a general rule it's best to avoid the 'big named brands' at the lower end of the price range i.e. anything less than £1k.

The Rockrider is a fantastic bit of kit - a couple of people I ride with have them.

Start Cycles have some great deals on kit and components.
  • supersonic
    GT budget bikes were good and fashionable. Then crap and unfashionable. Now fashionable again, but still crap.