Super light Summum

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited November 2014 in MTB general
Wideopen have just published their review of the new Mondraker Summum, the lightest off the shelf downhill bike ever produced at 32.9lb. Thats 7lb less than my Scalp and less than some budget xc bikes. It comes with a lifetime frame warranty so must be strong enough and the build kit isn't feather weight stuff either.
How many people will buy this just so they can say they have the lightest DH bike? I'm sure most people on most tracks would barely be any quicker but for racers, particularly on flatter tracks it should be great.
http://wideopenmag.co.uk/main/24667/mon ... ame-around

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Be a very very budget XC bike to be heavier than that, although quite a lot are about 14.5kg which is only a touch lighter.

None the less that is really light for a DH bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    My first xc bike, a large Specialized Hardrock (we all make mistakes) was 34lb.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Wideopen only had a day to ride it, they shouldn't call it a review. Anyway, the bike looks fantastic...I hope Danny does really well on it.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • rockmonkeysc
    He could be back on top next year. That Glory was a five year old bike with even older geometry. I like the Glory, it's a nice ride but the Summum is just a monster, nothing is as fast on a DH track and that was the old bike.
  • He could be back on top next year. That Glory was a five year old bike with even older geometry. I like the Glory, it's a nice ride but the Summum is just a monster, nothing is as fast on a DH track and that was the old bike.

Wont be close to the Rat IMHO, no one will.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not so sure. There are a few who could take him on next year.
    Atherton, Hart, Smith, Hill, Bruni and Blenkinsop will all give him a hard time. Smith in particular, I think will be pushing him hard next year.
  • Not so sure. There are a few who could take him on next year.
    Atherton, Hart, Smith, Hill, Bruni and Blenkinsop will all give him a hard time. Smith in particular, I think will be pushing him hard next year.

He was a mile up on anyone on the World Champs course, in another league. Even after busting his foot and been unable to pedal he almost won it. He is on a different planet and not a one hit wonder like Hart. Just watch he will smash it all again.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Not so sure. There are a few who could take him on next year.

He was a mile up on anyone on the World Champs course, in another league. Even after busting his foot and been unable to pedal he almost won it. He is on a different planet and not a one hit wonder like Hart. Just watch he will smash it all again.

He's got to recover from that busted foot though.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    He is better on the more more rocky tracks but not that far ahead on the rest of the tracks.
    Steve Smith has been injured most of this year, I think he will be Rat Boy's main competition and if the difference between the Devinci and Santa Cruz race bikes is similar to the difference between the production bikes then Smith certainly has the right bike.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That's 3lbs lighter than my IDrive! Carbon for ya.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Carbon and 10 years technology development.
    Your idrive is a bit of a tank as well.
  • supersonic
    Lovely suspension. But is a tank. Rolls over everything!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Personal taste I guess. I hate idrive suspension, feels weird.
  • supersonic
    I like low pedal kickback designs - cannot stand your typical 'single pivot'. Many versions of it though,this one of the best.
  • Not so sure. There are a few who could take him on next year.

He's got to recover from that busted foot though.

Miami will be faster than a rat up a drain pipe this coming year. Full expect it to be stitched up as soon as possible, followed by a win at the Worlds. He is going to smoke everyone.

Oh and the Syndicate Enduro team will be pretty tasty too.