Frame Advice - Genesis or Planet X

hammond1975
hammond1975 Posts: 948
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking to build a new do it all bike with discs and mudguards, but trying to decide on the best frame option.

Genesis Equilibrium or Planet X London road are the choices.

What are peoples views.

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    The answer might be whether you prefer a traditional (Equilibrium) or more modern looking (London Road) frame. Also, the London Road is alu, whereas the Equilibrium is likely to be steel. If you intend to run bigger tyres, I'm not sure you'd be able to tell much difference in ride quality between the frames.

I run a Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 disc which, on the face of it, looks very similar to the London Road and love it. Regularly mix up some off road tracks and road routes, it can also take up to 40mm tyres (or 25mm road slicks). Very versatile bike, as it will also take a rack and full mudguards. The London Road looks to be very close in design.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Agree with above. Asumming both do what you need & fit, then I'd go for the alu option. Generally speaking I prefer the feel of alu (feels more immediate) & it's lighter of course. I like Genesis too though - once had an Aether and liked it. Both good vlaue options. I'd also look at Kinesis. BTW I think I saw a discounted genesis disc frameset at Winstanleys bikes website the other day, when I was looking for something else.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    The Equilibrium will obviously be a steel frame but there are several sources of discounted framesets out there. One I've used in the past if Paul Milnes Ebay shop and they do have examples on offer at £385

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genesis-Equil ... 6b36e769b9

I built up an earlier an earlier version of the Equilibrium frameset with steel rather than carbon forks and I really rate it for comfort and stability.

If you're set on getting an alloy rather than a steel frame then keep a lookout for a Genesis Aether or Volant frameset. Neither of these is normally offered as a frameset only by Genesis but examples do come on to the market every so often. I built up a 50cm version of the Volant for my grandson as a Christmas present and this was sourced from Paul Milnes.

I have spotted a 58cm Volant frameset on offer at Swinnerton Cycles that could be worth checking out if it's your size:-

http://www.swinnertoncycles.co.uk/compo ... 8cm-p40906

Same price as the Planet X and slightly more cache so worth considering IMHO
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Merlin cycles seem to have there own disc cross framest too and I think there's a sale on (10% off on line orders) this weekend/
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.