Did anyone have a Chopper?

seajays
seajays Posts: 331
edited December 2014 in Commuting general
I had a Mk2 Chopper as my first bike. Apparently they did a limited edition of them again this year... :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... sport.html

Good times… 8)
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
My Strava

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I had a Budgie Bike, which was the smaller version of the Chopper.

They also did a MK3 in 2004 if I remember correctly. It might mention that in the link above but I refuse to visit the Daily Mail website in case it infects my browser with bigotry and xenophobia :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    I had a 1969 Mk1, The one with the long seat, 3spd in brilliant orange with black graphics, it was my first new bike from an LBS. All my mates had one and we used to go on epic Saturday morning rides, horrendously heavy bikes and downright dangerous with 2 up going downhill at anything more than 20mph. Traded it in eventually for a Sun 5spd drop handle bar racer.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I had a Raleigh Commando. A lot less cool but whole lot more rideable.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A mate had one when I was 8, the original, we had to wait for him at the bottom of each hill as it was horrendously unstable going down, wait at the top as it was heavy and also he couldn't ride up as it kept wanting to backflip (he flipped it twice), not much cop on the flat either, style over substance.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • If we're talking choppers then this is worth a repost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNaqRgGOuQQ
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    shmooster wrote:
    If we're talking choppers then this is worth a repost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNaqRgGOuQQ

Stuff like that makes me smile :)

If beating a bunch of roadies on a Chopper isn't impressive enough, the cut-off jeans are the icing on the cake :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • polls_get_to_the_choppa_2416_542479_poll_xlarge.jpeg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    I had a Grifter back in 81/82, it was a toss up between that and a Chopper, years later I bought a Chopper for the grand sum of 14 quid, I think it was 1988-ish. Bloody horrible thing, didn't handle worth a damn, how they got such a following is beyond me.

I remember one of the local "big lads" doing a wheelie on a Chopper, and the look of horror on his face when the wheel dropped out and rolled along by itself, I remember the ambulance taking him away too.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road