Outdoor bike storage

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Since moving house I have lost my main outdoor storage space (garage). O currently have a 6x4 shed which is full of all the useless rubbish that you "need".

I'd like to buy a purpose built cycle shed, preferably a low height one, material isn't an issue however budget is quite tight (£200) if possible.

I've been looking at these http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/ ... tore/17248 thoughts?

Comments

• gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Wooden sheds are notorious for having bikes nicked out of them. Double the price, but these are meant to be good:
    http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-cycle-s ... ike-locker
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    Personally I will not spend £200 on that shed to store my bike. Where do you keep the bike at present? I am guessing the 6x4 shed.....beef up the door of the shed and window with solid timber and good locks and an alarm and if you are use external hinges make sure you use security screws on them. Or double your budget as Gozzy says
  • cubedean
    rs6mra1 wrote:
    Personally I will not spend £200 on that shed to store my bike. Where do you keep the bike at present? I am guessing the 6x4 shed.....beef up the door of the shed and window with solid timber and good locks and an alarm and if you are use external hinges make sure you use security screws on them. Or double your budget as Gozzy says

Currently in the kitchen as I don't have space in the shed for it. There's no way I could double the budget, I'd be stretching at £200 at the moment (with Christmas & all). The wife wants it out of the house ASAP.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I am moving to a house without garage in the new year and I am getting a 4 or 6 bike Asgard. My insurers won't cover it on a wooden shed.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • bike box behind the sofa?
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    rs6mra1 wrote:
    .beef up the door of the shed and window with solid timber and good locks and an alarm and if you are use external hinges make sure you use security screws on them.

Beef up the roof too, it's not unheard of for thieves to rip the roof off sheds to get at bikes and that shed looks just about the right height for that to be easily done.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    In budget and a bit more secure than a wooden shed. The lean-to design means you could site it against one of the house walls if you have space

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metal-Lean-Pent ... B006CVYMKU

Just one example but I'm sure there are others if you search wider.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    edited November 2014
    I actually bought one of the apex bike sheds from that website a little over a year ago when moving into my final student house, I think the 4x7ft version.

I'm quite happy with it- my biggest problem was rushing too much and not putting a decent coat of fence/ shed paint inside and out before putting it together, but when moving it to my parents house have put yacht varnish under the floor and painted the rest with fencecoat inside and out, plus put real roofers felt on top so now it won't be going anywhere for many years. It fits 3 bikes and assorted stuff quite happily (and can fit another complete and one folding bike at a push), and keeps everything dry from the rain. Paper and cloth will still get damp from the cold winter air though, so manuals and pads for TT bars etc are best taken indoors, but the bikes themselves aren't affected.

Like any wooden shed, it's not exactly Fort Knox, and I did have a scare just after Christmas when someone had come into the garden at night and nearly twisted the B&Q safety latch off of the door. I now have two such latches bolted into the wood rather than screwed (no point in drawing attention with a super duper lock) and have put a couple of ground anchors with d-lock/ shackle extenders to lock the road and TT bikes to the floor. More than anything to slow any thieves down and make enough of a racket to wake someone up or just give up.

It really depends on how high risk the area is that you live in- for my last place I wouldn't keep anything in there worth much over £500 but in my current location at my parents house we have a massive workshop shed with a door which has pretty much rotted off and have not had anything (inc cheapy bikes) go missing in the 18 years we've lived here, so I'd be fairly confident any bikes locked in my bike shed wouldn't get knicked. But in an area where you know theives operate then I'd probably look at a more secure solution, although you really need to make sure your insurance covers it as any security measure will only slow determined thieves down rather than stop them.
  • cubedean
    We live in a very low crime area, thats not to say that it won't happen. The shed would be bolted to the house wall aswell. I dont have the clear wall space for a tall lean to type building and a low level one would fit below the kitchen window nicely.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Then go for it, and invest in a ground anchor but fit it into / through the house wall. And a decent chain lock. Won't stop the frame being cut to nick the bike for parts, but if as you say it's a low crime area it should be ok.
  • A bike wouldnt last a week in those round here. My friends had their bikes stolen 4 times from locked garages, with alarms. Never mind wooden sheds and lean toos.
    I'd only be happy keeping an expensive bike in the house. If the bike was a cheapy like £50 or something only then I'd keep it in a grage or shed.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    cubedean wrote:
    rs6mra1 wrote:

Currently in the kitchen as I don't have space in the shed for it. There's no way I could double the budget, I'd be stretching at £200 at the moment (with Christmas & all). The wife wants it out of the house ASAP.

I think your bike is the nicest thing in your kitchen :D

Behind the sofa in a bike bag.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Move the wife out and keep the bike indoors

Simples :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • cubedean wrote:
    The wife wants it out of the house ASAP.

I hate this. Tell her to store her shoes, the vaccum, Ironing board and generally remove her crap to the shed. A bike is expensive to have in the shed its not in the kitchen so you can look at it all day. Tell her to FO. What is it with women ffs :x

......probably why im not married. :lol:
  • cubedean
    Overlord2 wrote:
    cubedean wrote:

I hate this. Tell her to store her shoes, the vaccum, Ironing board and generally remove her crap to the shed. A bike is expensive to have in the shed its not in the kitchen so you can look at it all day. Tell her to FO. What is it with women ffs :x

She doesn't have loads of shoes so I'd struggle with that one :p.

The house is a new build so storage is limited, downstairs toilet is the store for double pushchair (tried to fit it in there on the wall but no such joy.) Although it may go with the front wheel off
  • Overlord2 wrote:
    cubedean wrote:

Thats really sexist crap, why is a vaccum and an ironing board a womans? Thats bad for a man to be so backward in this day and age.
    Probably your single because your abusive and sexist.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Indeed, I use the vacuum more than my wife and the ironing board as much as her. Not surprising that you don't have a partner.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Probably your single because your abusive and sexist.

And you thought I jumped to conclusions? :lol:
  • cubedean
    After finding out that my helmet has disappeared in the house move, rather than going out for a ride in the sun I decided it was a good opportunity to clear the shed. I've managed to make space for the Gios & the wife has now agreed to ripping the decking up and having a large shed in place when the weather gets better.
  • Your problem is neither the bike or your wife/partner ... It's the pushchair ...

Bike storage motto: Keep it on your pants, keep it in the house ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.