loose cassette

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Not sure if I an extra spacer but both my old and new cassette aren't fully secure on my hub when tightened up. If I grab the biggest cog and try to wiggle there's a small bit of play (like 1mm). Is this the norm of should I go out and get a spacer?

It's a 9 speed Tiagra HG50 cassette fitted to Shimano R500 wheel (but had same problem on old wheel too)

Thanks

Comments

• tonyhogg
    tonyhogg Posts: 115
    Get a spacer its a small shim type you need, I had the same problem, easy fix.
  • chatlow
    I'm a little confused because I was under the impression that 8/9 speed cassettes don't require spacers behind them to fit correctly, just 10+ speed cassettes that do?

Will take a look at shim type spacers now. There are prob different sizes ones on offer so any idea what size I need?!

Thanks
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    chatlow wrote:
    I'm a little confused because I was under the impression that 8/9 speed cassettes don't require spacers behind them to fit correctly, just 10+ speed cassettes that do?

You do not need a spacer/shim or whatever you want to call it to get a 9 speed HG50 cassette working on an R500. The wheels are effectively 8/9 speed wheels which can be adapted for 10 speed with the use of a spacer.

You should have no play whatsoever. If you do have some play then something is wrong somewhere.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as above you should not need one. see the FAQs viewtopic.php?f=40101&t=12905742

are you sure it is the cassette moving on the body? and not the body (and cassette) moving?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • chatlow wrote:

In addition 10 speed Tiagra cassettes do not require a spacer.
  • chatlow
    Thought this was the case. Bit strange how the same cassette is a little loose on old wheel and new wheel. It's not loose enough for me to stress about it so will leave it alone. Thanks for confirming the spacers not needed :D
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    Perhaps the looseness is play in the hub bearings ? There should be no slack in the mounting of the cassette to the hub body.

Pete