RIP phil hughes

markyone
markyone Posts: 1,119
edited November 2014 in The cake stop
Australian cricketer phil hughes rip what a sad loss at a very young age.
Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
Pinarello F8 with sram etap

Comments

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Sad news. Sounds like it was a freak accident.
  • Tragic news, small consolation for the family is that he would not have suffered for more than a second or two.

Devastating also for Sean Abbott, who will probably struggle ever to play cricket again after bowling the ball that did this.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Sad news. Sounds like it was a freak accident.
    Yes but it might cause a change in helmet design
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,317
    Having played quite a bit of cricket in my youth, I am at a loss as to why he turned his head. Did it kick up very suddenly? Was the delivery really fast?
    The reason I ask is that as a youngster about to head into the loca ladult league at 15, our coach had us in the practice nets facing bouncers bowled with dummy balls to help us react properly. Considering our heights at that age, a lot of ordinary delivery's to us were bouncers. The coach always said and emphasised "Never ever take your eye off the ball, duck or watch it go by but never ever take your eye off it". It was an invaluable lesson although the speed of those deliveries were no where near to that in the pro ranks.
    I wonder if this is still preached?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • A tragic accident R.I.P. Phil Hughes.

As for Sean Abbott it will have traumatized him I would think, awful incident all 'round.

Will it make bowlers think twice about delivering bouncers which are aimed at the batsmans head in order to intimidate?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    I played a lot of cricket and before the day of amateurs wearing helmets I took a ball straight in the jaw broke it in 3 places, 5 hour op to screw it back together with steel plates. the season after I wore a helmet then retired.
    RIP phil hughes should of been watching him this summer at edgebaston in the test as I have a ticket.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Well worth a read.
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/co ... 03857.html

Rather dismayed about all the talk of reviewing the game and it's rules at the moment. They should show some respect and let the grieving process finish.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,317
    joe2008 wrote:
    Having played quite a bit of cricket in my youth, I am at a loss as to why he turned his head. Did it kick up very suddenly? Was the delivery really fast?

He was playing the hook shot, a shot that would have you swivel around and if you miss the ball it could hit the back of your head.

A guy of his talent would no doubt see the ball a lot earlier that a mere mortal and, therefore, more likely to be through the shot slightly too early.

RIP Phil Hughes, one of the good guys by all accounts.

So in the split second from the moment he missed the hook he managed to turn his head which ironically killed him. Had he not reacted so quick, the ball may have hit a part of the helmet.

I remember a coaching video with Viv Richards - he could hook some seriously fast balls and often he didn't wear a helmet.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • RIP Phil Hughes. Just a shock. CA have amended the scorecard to 63 not out from retired hurt.

Great respect for Michael Clarke. Having to turn up in the media at such a difficult time....