Garmin or Bryton

sark716
sark716 Posts: 45
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at buying a GPS bike computer and looking for advice as to which one. Budget is around £100.

I've seen the spec for the Garmin Edge 500 and the Bryton 35. Both seem good. But both seem to have been available for a couple of years. So I'm wondering if there are new models due out

Comments

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    Both are pretty old and have replacements out already (Edge 510 and Ryder 40 respectively).

Thing you need to ask is what do you need it for? Uploading to Strava? Fancy training stats? Ability to follow routes?

I had a Ryder 35 and upgraded to an Edge 800 because I decided that the mapping was crucial to me, as I wanted to ride different routes in places I didn`t know well. If you just want to upload to Strava, an Edge 200 or Ryder 20 might be OK and they`re a lot cheaper. The newer devices such as the 510, 40 and 1000 all have new features but would you use them?

For what its worth I think Garmin are the brand leader for a reason, my Edge is far from a slick product but its way less buggy than the Bryton was.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    +1 for Garmin. I had a Bryton (only a 21) but it failed after about 3 months. I got a replacement and that was OK last time I used it. However, lovely Mrs Andcp got fed up with me cursing every time I tried to upload the data from the Bryton she bought me an Edge 800. The Bryton software is OK, but on many, many occasions the device was not recognised by my laptop, or my works laptop, or my sons laptop. Very frustrating.
    As an aside, my wife has a Garmin 200 and my son an 800 and they are both excellent bits of kit too.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    As has been said, depends on what you want. If full gps then the garmin 500 isn't going to be what you want-the 800 would be the minimum and out of your budget, don't see many happy bryton owners so def. garmin. If it's just for strava etc then the garmin 200 is perfect-and I have one in the classifieds :wink:
  • The actual Bryton unit is OK, I've had a 50 for a few years, it's just that their website is awkward to use and you can't directly upload to Strava.
    Summer - Giant Defy Composite 2 (Force 22) (retd)
    Cannondale Synapse Sram Red ETap
    Winter - Boardman CX Team (Rival X1 Hyd)
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Garmin 200 is currently available for £67 at Halfords. Discount applied when put in basket.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Thanks for the advice. Chosen a Garmin Edge 500 bundle from Chain Reaction. Which my girlfriend has ordered for Christmas.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Good choice. At my cycling club the 500 is easily the most popular device, for a number of very good reasons but basically because it just does what it should do...well and reliably. Enjoy the delights that come with Strava: never has it been easier to track your improvements in cycling and then watch your performance steadily decline as you age :)
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Garmin 200 is currently available for £67 at Halfords. Discount applied when put in basket.
    ...and I managed to get a further 10% when collecting from the store using my BC card. So £60 for Garmin 200... offer running til monday.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey