Convert threaded to threadless

BobScarle
BobScarle Posts: 282
edited November 2014 in Workshop
I bought an old Peugeot steel bike (nothing special) with a view to building it up as a winter / do anything single speed bike. I started the strip down and all was going well until I got to the handlebars, I am going to replace them and the stem. The stem has seized in the forks. I don't mind cutting the stem to get it apart and then I may (or may not) be able to get the rest out. However the forks are damaged, it looks like the dropouts are bent. It may be possible to bend them back.

So I thought if the forks are damaged, and given that they will have a French headset, it may be easier to replace them. I could change them for some more steel ones with a thread or I could go threadless. There is the question.

How do I change from threaded to threadless? Is it just a case of new forks and new headset or is there more to it than that?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    new forks, new headset, new stem, probably new bars...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Imposter wrote:
    new forks, new headset, new stem, probably new bars...
    and some spacers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    yes.. ;)
  • I have some new bars and I was going to use a new stem mounted on a quill adapter (won't need that now). If all I need to do is buy new forks and a new headset then that should be fine.

Thanks for the responses.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Have your tried violence to remove the stem? Undo stem bolt a few turns, and whack it with a mallet if its a bit stuck. Then using a piece of wood - in my case a 12" length of 2" square - on the underside of the stem where it turns from vertical to horizontal, smite as hard as you can, repeatedly, with a lump hammer. Oh, after putting plenty of PlusGas up there and leaving it to soak for a few days.

1" steel forks with the correct length of threaded steerer won't be that readily available off-the-shelf.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Can you get 1" threadless forks....?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Yes, I have 3 of them.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Both wiggle and ribble stock them.