location sharing app?

redbikejohn
redbikejohn Posts: 160
edited November 2014 in Commuting general
I got an earful from the wife last night at 10pm when she found out i'd cycled to work and was going to cycle home as opposed to taking the train/cycle. she's worried about me cycling late at night and in 0 or - deg temps. this is despite me telling her over and over its safer at night as there is less traffic and the flashy light attracts more attention. shes worried i'll get knocked off and die in the cold! :)

anyway - is there a good location sharing app (android) that anyone can recommend? there used to be a feature in goggle maps (latitude) but that has gone - why do they do away with good ideas like this and sharing with gps/phone? ok i know there is this function in goggle plus but i had a look and its far from straight forward and it looks like they are trying to make their own facebook type app, really not what i want. ideally i'd like it to run in goggle maps so once i select 'share with mrs rbj' it will automatically share my location in her goggle maps on her phone. this will also be handy when i'm on early shift to see were she is so i can get the dinner on!

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Not sure if it's on android - but iDevice has an app called Glympse that does precisely this.

I would use it, but most of my commute seems to be phone data blackout - being rural there are only a few routes I can take so I tell SWMBO which one I'll do (assume if no variation then it's the default-sortest route) and she knows how long I usually take.
    Doesn't stop her worrying though ... nothing will ....

Actually, we did use Find my iphone summer before last when I rode home after a works party - I'd preset the route I was going to take and once home she asked why I carried on up the hill rather than go along the valley .. strangely I had gone through the valley and it was the phone reporting an incorrect position! Didn't help that data connection through the valley was useless so she had no further update until I was home - some 20 minutes later!
  • I've seen Glympse in the app store and read up on it but i got the impression you need to sms each time?
  • I've used RealTimeGPSTracker in a similar case and it seems to work well. Also, I believe that OSMAnd now has something similar built in - though I've not tried it yet - and that is a useful app to have on the phone in any case...

HTH,

_
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Life360 on Android, shares your location with confirmed family/friends, the wife makes the daughter have it on for evening out! You can also sets a number of locations (home/work) and it will message when the person arrives.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Endomondo does it - and you can use it as a GPS sports tracker as well (and she can send you abusive messages live if you have headphones in)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I've seen Glympse in the app store and read up on it but i got the impression you need to sms each time?
    Yes, you need to send the Glympse invite to someone each time you use it so that they can follow you for a specific period of time, I use it for my commutes. For a more permanent tracker you need something like Find Friends or Life 360 which 'track' the phone all the time.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • You can do this with a Garmin 510/810. You just connect the device with your phone via bluetooth, select the live track function in the connect app, and she'll get an email with a link to a map with realtime updates on your position, speed, etc.
    So if you were looking for an excuse to buy a new Garmin, just tell your wife that it is a safety device. Safety first!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Glympse and the Garmin 510/810 need to be set up every time you want to share the location though so not what the OP is asking for. Not sure on Android but Find Friends does it on Apple, but is not as accurate as Glympse.
    I tend to use Glympse if I'm meeting the wife as it's far more accurate, although it hammers battery life.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Glympse and the Garmin 510/810 need to be set up every time you want to share the location though so not what the OP is asking for. Not sure on Android but Find Friends does it on Apple, but is not as accurate as Glympse.
    I tend to use Glympse if I'm meeting the wife as it's far more accurate, although it hammers battery life.

I believe Find Friends has been changed on iOS8 so that the phone updates the service with there it is periodically - before then it relies on a request from a viewer that then polls the phone for it's current location - which is fine if you're in a good signal area (or have wifi) but rubbish if you're out in the country.

The push system of Glympse and the Garmin 5/810 and 1000 may require more battery but unless you're out for a long day ride most phones can cope with the additional demand for 30-60 mins. Although the initial send does require a data connection which can be an arse if you don't have a reliable connection in your usual places.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Not an App as such, but Android Device Manager does this.
    Though it will require her to log in to your Google account (might not be a good idea if you've been buying stuff in the "sales").
    Works the same as Apple's "Find My iPhone"