advice needed need to get fit

douggie
douggie Posts: 4
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all
I'm a 22 Stone chap, 40 years of age. I used to be a runner but I had a car accident which I broke my back and also had a op to remove a cancerous kidney, which all resulted in a massive weight gain. I attempted to run again and all I have achieved is to knacker my feet through the impact.
Anyway in an attempt to shed some weight and get fit again I thought cycling to be the obvious choice. I have only ever ridden a mountain bike before and then only for short commuting and many years ago.
I have looked around at various outlets, and have had conflicting advice., and need some help to decide which bike and indeed which type.
There are 4 bikes I have in mind but I am definitely open to other suggestions. I live in the Cotswold so it is very hilly. My upper limit is £450

1. Btwin triban 500. Concerned it would be up to carrying my weight.
2. Btwin rockrider 540.
3. Calibre 2.2
4. Dawes galaxy al. Not sure it would be big enough. I am 6ft2 shop advised not recommended for over 6 ft

Please help!!!!

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    2 road bikes + 2 mountain bikes = 1 odd shortlist.

Decide if you are actually interested in riding offroad or whether you're purely looking for fitness cycling.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Google the '39 stone cyclist' for some inspiration and ideas, Gary used to post on here regularly when he started out on his journey.

If you will be cycling mostly on road, I'd start with a decent reasonable sturdy Hybrid, off road an MTB.

Have a look at the Voodoo Marasa at Halfords, from standard it can be made into a pretty fast hybrid with narrower tyres and by dropping the bars a bit, or with chunky tyres it makes a reasonable rigid mountain bike, they are well specced and pretty tough.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.