Shimano BB-ES-51

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited November 2014 in MTB general
Hi All

How long should the above last, put a new one in my bike last xmas time 6 months latter it's gone again, had it off Wiggle and they replaced it, now 4 months latter it's gone again.

Or is there something I can use that's better/ lasts longer it's 73mm x 113mm.

It's on a 2012 Specialized Carve.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Anything up to 25 years. Or more.

What do you do with them?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Any jetwashing/weird cleaning products involved?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not really. you might find an XT version is you are lucky.

things last as long as they do,

how where etc effect things.

4 months in the garage would not wear it out but 50miles a day through mud etc would wear things out faster.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi Both.

No jet washing just a bucket and sponge, I used to was my bike really regular and did think that's why the first one went, so from then on un less it's really dirty I only wash it every couple of weeks, but clean the fork stations and mechs more often to keep the grit out.

Not sure how many miles a week I do, I have two bikes and the other one does the real off road stuff, I would of thought around 30 - 50 miles a week and it has been quite wet here in Wales for around the last 6 weeks, the first one I put in the bike I covered it in waterproof grease to try and repel any water that got in the frame, but that didn't seem to work so didn't bother with this one.

Thanks for replying.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    My Cannondale used to have an ES51 it lasted at least 5 years. Couple of times around Cannock every week, washed once maybe twice/year.

Replaced it last year with an ES71 nicer axle/casing but otherwise it feels the same
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have one in my road bike which has done around 18k miles in all weathers and still running smooth.