What bike? 2nd hand?

L3BIUS
L3BIUS Posts: 91
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Helping my friend get a new bike, anything from £300-500. New or 2nd hand... just trying to look for 2nd hand but no idea what to search for as there are so many makes! 2nd hand would be nice as you tend to get bikes with better upgrades and this can save having to upgrade a new one, on the other hand, to find something nice new would be a bonus, warranty etc... any suggestions on makes/models/links... Main use is trail riding, hard tail is what we are looking for.

Would to be nice to buy from someone on here if there is anything right.

any ideas appreciated, thanks!
The New Beast GT Aggressor 2013 project

The Old Beast GT Aggressor Hardtail 2011 Custom Spec

Places i want to visit:
Gisburn Forest, Afan Forest, Holmbury Hill, Forest of Dean, Antur Stiniog, Fort William, Tweed Valley, Cwmcarn

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You can get a lot for that price used. I was looking recently for a winter bike and there are loads of hardtails which are barely used, never been off road and like new costing £750 - £1000 new for around £500.
    I would look at Boardmans, Specialized Rockhoppers, Giant XTC's etc. Loads of options.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hard to suggest a used bike as you may not find one in the right size near you, better you post links and we'll suggest whether it's worth looking at or not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.