Dura ace SRAM cassette

tonyhogg
tonyhogg Posts: 115
edited November 2014 in Workshop
I'm thinking of trying a SRAM XG1190 11sp cassette with my dura ace di2, and a matching SRAM chain in my never ending quest for the quietest sounding bike possible, has anybody tried this combo and does it work ok?

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    tonyhogg wrote:
    I'm thinking of trying a SRAM XG1190 11sp cassette with my dura ace di2, and a matching SRAM chain in my never ending quest for the quietest sounding bike possible, has anybody tried this combo and does it work ok?

I use a similar set-up - just in the 10-speed version. Works fine. Although I actually think the lower-end Sram cassettes are quieter. Just way heavier.

P.S. Sram chains are not the best. I prefer KMC X-11SL for a more durable option.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    PG1170 is a good option about 80>90gms heavier according to the SRAM site but a hell of a lot cheaper, nice and quiet in use IME.
  • tonyhogg
    juts a little concerning using shimano di2, sram cassette and a kmc chain? very mix n match sounding, I'm not keen on using dura ace cassettes long term
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    tonyhogg wrote:
    juts a little concerning using shimano di2, sram cassette and a kmc chain? very mix n match sounding, I'm not keen on using dura ace cassettes long term

What has Di2 got to do with it? It's a Shimano mech, an SRAM cassette and a KMC chain. All will work perfectly well together. I've only ever used one Shimano chain (and never used a Campag one), and that came on my Trek 520 MTB around 30 years ago! All since have been SRAM or KMC or Wipperman with quick connect links. I have a KMC chain on the Genesis Equilibrium with 5800 105, and it's plenty quite enough.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    tonyhogg wrote:

I use cassettes from a variety of manufacturers. Mostly Sram though. There is ZERO issue with doing this. Chains are designed to be used on a bike - not with specific components (regardless of what a brand like Shimano might try and tell you).

No one stops you to check to see if you components all match up. I promise. Use whatever combo you like!

I ride every day, hour after hour and have had no issues ever with mix and matching these components. I even swap wheels regularly without changing the chain, etc- so one day it might be the XG cassette, the next it's the 1070 cassette. All with KMC chains! KMC has performed better for me over the years than any Shimano or Sram chain I've tried.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I found the XG1190 was noticeably quieter and had better shift quality when paired with a SRAM chain instead of DA9000. I didn't try KMC. Patently all 11-speed chains and cassettes will work together - this is toothed cogwheels, not rocket science, and the performance differences will be relatively subtle.
  • tonyhogg
    I've already had one dura ace cassette fail after 200 miles, currently got an ultegra cassette but fancy trying a sram long term, they seem better made from what I've been reading.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I use an 1190 cassette with a Force front end, Di2 and a DA chain.

I like the DA chain on it all but have no qualms about mixing and matching.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    edited; there's no point.