Shopping for 'starter' kit

alex100a
alex100a Posts: 84
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Evening All,

Well after getting hooked with trail riding this year I have now bought a new bike and feel I need to kit myself out with some more suitable clothing like shorts, jacket, gloves etc. I usually avoid buying clothes online unless I know exactly what I want so wonder whether anyone could recommend where a shop Reading area?

I'm not looking for 'top of the range' gear but more a starter kit that I can upgrade over time.

Is the B'Twin stuff at Decathlon any good generally?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    alex100a wrote:
    Is the B'Twin stuff at Decathlon any good generally?
    Yes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I'd guess you'd be spoilt for choice in the Reading area, but here's the obvious first port of call...

http://www.evanscycles.com/stores/reading
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Try START CYCLES they tend to have some good stuff on offer.
    Got a full set of 661 rage knee & elbow pads for less than £50.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    DirkPitt74 wrote:
    Try START CYCLES they tend to have some good stuff on offer.
    Got a full set of 661 rage knee & elbow pads for less than £50.

Thats a good price - I think my knees alone cost me more than that.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would recommend Endura clothing. Not the cheapest but considering the quality it's good value.
    A lot of cheap clothing doesn't last and is either too warm or not warm enough and cheap waterproof kit doesn't stay waterproof for long.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    While not necessarily cycle specific, I have had reasonable success in TK Maxx. If there is one conveniently placed for you to trawl occasionally, you can find bargains, particularly base layers, soft-shell and waterproofs.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Thanks for the advice guys.

Popped into Evans today and started with a new pair of Endura gloves and now looking to order some Hummvee shorts.

Will have a rummage at T K Maxx for a new water proof jacket at the weekend. Alternatively has anyone got any views on this from Decathlon as a cheap and short term solution until I can afford a decent jacket:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-waterpro ... 15811.html

Had not even thought about knee/elbow pads! Luckily I've not needed them yet but its only a matter of time so I best give them some consideration!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A waterproof jacket is one item where your extra money really makes a difference. Cheap ones can get uncomfortably warm and make you sweat so much you end up soaked anyway. A nice light breathable jacket is a good investment.
    I wouldn't bother with pads unless you ride on rocky trails a lot. If you do buy pads get good ones to avoid them getting too hot and rubbing.
    This time of year a good pair of glasses are worth having, bolle safety glasses are pretty cheap on ebay.