Royce hub - 10 speed Cassette spacer needed?

dangardner27
dangardner27 Posts: 118
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Hi there,

Do you know if I need to use the 1mm Shimano cassette spacer that came with my Shimano Ultegra 6700 cassette on my Royce Venus 10 speed rear hub? It appears my LBS fitted it and maybe it shouldn't have been?!

Thanks

Dan

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Normally you need a spacer for 10 speed cassette on 10 speed hub.
    Is it a 9 speed cassette?
  • It's a 10 speed Venus Hub.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Keezx wrote:
    Normally you need a spacer for 10 speed cassette on 10 speed hub.
    Is it a 9 speed cassette?
    and 10-9-8 shimano pattern bodies are all the same. (10spd only have a different spline pattern).

but all covered in the FAQ linked above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks for your replies everyone, however I'm still none the wiser re whether the spacer should be there or not, (I think the Royce freehub is specifically 10spd)?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    My understanding is that with your 10sp 6700 cassette, used on a 10sp freehub, you use the supplied spacer. The only 10sp cassette that does not use a separate spacer is the Tiagra 4600 because it has one built in. Have you checked with Royce?

Are you having problems with your gear indexing?
  • woolwich
    woolwich Posts: 298
    As suggested give Royce a call. The bloke is an enthusiast and very willing to give his customers time for questions.

I once had an issue with a freehub. I spoke to him expecting a standard, stick it in the post response. Instead he talked me through the full strip and service while on the phone. Awesome customer service.
    Mud to Mudguards. The Art of framebuilding.
    http://locksidebikes.co.uk/
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    O.K it been answered but here it is a again the venus hub is 8-9-10 speed compatible. With a 10 speed cassette you need the 1mm spacer (except the tiagra one). You need that on any shimano freehub with a 10 speed cassette not just a royce. 8 and 9 speed cassette fit without a spacer.

No need to give cliff a call. fit the cassette with a 1mm spacer job done. If you have indexing issues then that os do with the rear mech set up.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks for all your help guys. The guru (Cliff) has spoken and he says no to the spacer as he would be horrified if anyone tried to tighten the cassette to 40NM with a 1mm spacer in place on a Venus 10 speed hub - it would likely strip the thread.

PS What a super bloke, he couldn't have been more helpful.
  • dj58
    Thanks for all your help guys. The guru (Cliff) has spoken and he says no to the spacer as he would be horrified if anyone tried to tighten the cassette to 40NM with a 1mm spacer in place on a Venus 10 speed hub - it would likely strip the thread.

PS What a super bloke, he couldn't have been more helpful.

Did Cliff say why the 1mm spacer is not required on the Royce hub?
  • Yep he said that on the Venus hub the spacer would mean that there would only be 4 threads for the lock ring to engage with which would strip the thread at 40NM potentially.
  • dj58
    Is 40Nm what Royce recommend for the lockring or is that what your LBS have tightened it to? Shimano's range is 30-50Nm. Just interested to know.
  • Don't know for sure but I think that's what he imagined most mechanics would aim for.