newbie looking for mtb

colz1234
colz1234 Posts: 3
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I want to buy a mountain bike, just for light use, cycling to work and back when i feel like it, light trails and off road stuff, but nothing hardcore. Im not too sure if i will stick at it which is why i would like to buy like a entry level model, then if i get on well with it progress onto something more expensive.

Have seen a couple just wandering what peoples opinions are, as dont want to waste my money buying something when for £50 more i could buy something a lot better.

My budget is around the £200 mark, able to stretch to about £300 if its worth it. Live in the Bristol area

The one i have been thinking of buying is this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251725934361?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Worth the price or not? would i be better off with something else? Thanks in advance

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    He may have bought it for £400 but that is a £200 bike, the forks, brakes, gears and wheels are not really suitable for off-road use at all. Have a look for a Carrera kraken or late model Vulcan with a damped fork and hydraulic disc brakes otherwise you'll be put off by riding a poor bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yup, much more like it.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.