Whyte T129 2014 Tubeless?

plodderpaul
plodderpaul Posts: 32
edited November 2014 in MTB general
Hi all

I have a 2014 Whyte T129 (29"er full sus) and want to go for a Stans Tubeless set up to try to help stop punctures. I have bought Nobby Nics tubeless ready but cannot find out if the wheelset is suitable for the conversion. They are not tubeIess specific rims and are Whyte's own 29" wheels. I have not been able to get an answer from the Whyte website and wanted to find out if anyone else has tried this before I invest in the tubeless kit.
A bit specific this I know but any help much appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

Comments

• I converted my 2014 Whyte 129-S last month using the standard WTB Rims and WTB Tyres and simply adding the no tubes valves and sealant, you need a decent track pump and I recommend doing a dry run first i.e no sealant just whip out the inertubes add the valves re-seat the tyres and inflate, may take a couple of go's and a bit of fiddling but shouldn't be easy enough. Loads of tutorial vids on youtube etc...
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Hi Mitch
    Thanks for the reply. As you have the superier "S" model you have the WTB rims whereas mine are the cheaper Whyte's own branded ones so I am not sure how similar they are. What do you think of the bike by the way and how is the p******* protection going now that you are tubeless?
    Cheers
    Paul
  • Ah ok you probably need the rim strips then, the Stans do a kit including everything you need Strips/valves & sealant, I ordered a roll of gorilla tape through Amazon for a couple of quid too, that came in handy when I gave a mate a hand to convert His Cube to tubeless, it was still leaking air despite having rim strips from the spoke holes, adding a strip of the gorilla tape along the inside of the rim sorted it.

Im absolutely loving the Whyte so far, its my first full suss, the addition of big wheels & relaxed geometry just inspires confidence, and my riding has come on loads as a result! I still class myself as a beginner having only really started to ride mtb a couple of years ago on my 26" 100mm Rockhopper hard tail, but managing to tackle some tricky terrain, no bike parks on the IOM but we have a decent Mountain to play on & all the routes are never further than 20 minutes away

Tubeless has also been spot on so far, Im running about 26 psi rear and 23psi front and getting loads of grip on the rocky climbs etc, no punctures or pinch flats at all. The rear WTB Nano isnt really up to this Weather so Ive gone for a set of Schwalbe Hands Dampf front and a Rocket Ron on the rear, obviously tyre width is a bit restrictive on the back.
    What tyre width did you go for with your Nobby Nics?
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube