Building Up A Commuter Fixie

Matty~B~Raps
Matty~B~Raps Posts: 2
edited November 2014 in The workshop
Hey all, just wondering if some of you experienced guys can help me out! I'm looking to build up a fixie mostly for the purpose of a low maintenance commuter but at the same time i want something that ill be able to put some serious mileage on with comfort. I'm looking to spend roughly $700 but i can go higher if theres good reason to do so. Starting with a frame, i was looking at the Pure Keirin Track Pro Frame.
https://www.purefixcycles.com/collectio ... rack-frame
Really i just need to know if this frame will serve my needs, and if pure frames are a good frame to begin with. Im assuming ill change out that fork for a carbon fork for comfort? And ill be needing a nice wheel set that i wont have to true every week. This is just to start and ill ask more later on dont wanna over load yall in 1 post :mrgreen: cheers!

Comments

• pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Question probably suited to chat or general.

I know nothing of that frame but any 'track' frame is unlikely to be much good in terms of comfort. Likely to have an aggressive riding position.
  • As above, I'd avoid track frames for what you want (ditto track drops).

Don't know the model you link, but I'd certainly have a look at the Surly Steamroller for a build from a new frame for this use.

Wheels for a commuter - def go handbuilt, prob 32 spoke both, perhaps on OpenPros. Not the expensive option people think it is - for comparable quality about the same or even cheaper than factory built and tend to be much more bomb-proof and easy to fix if needed.

Crankset is where you can go really nuts and spend huge amounts for marginal gain for road use.

If you haven't already, check out Velo Solo. Their own brand stuff is solid and reasonably priced.
  • It is a great project and I hope you get a really nice bike and enjoy the fixed experience.

I would recommend a frame with drillings for both brakes and mudguard mounts. It looks like the Pure frame might be drilled for a front brake but I can't see rear brake cable stops. A rear brake is nice as well and mudguards are vital for comfort in the winter in UK but maybe not if you live somewhere dry. You will also want at least one bottle cage if you are doing big miles so a dedicated track frame may not be the best option. Also don't buy dedicated track BB or hubs because they won't be sealed. And I would recommend proper drops with proper brake levers to give you good control at speed downhill when braking instead of top levers. Little stubby bars might be ok for occasional city stuff but not for long rides.

You will need a bolted (non QR) rear wheel which may be best built with 6mm Allen bolts (try Goldtec). Standard track wheels need a 15mm spanner which is a big chunk of steel to carry.

In summary look for a real road frame with track ends and singlespeed spacing. Lots of suppliers. Have fun.

However if you live in a nice dry flat country, or if you really want a track bike for the road, you can disregard much of the above!

Regards

Alan
  • PS "serious miles" on a fixed is maybe about 40% of "serious miles" on a geared freewheel bike! No rest.
  • PS "serious miles" on a fixed is maybe about 40% of "serious miles" on a geared freewheel bike! No rest.

I think that's stretching it a bit.
  • Have a look at this rather good and comprehensive link. I've used several of his vids and he certainly knows his stuff, esp for older bikes. He's just posted this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sInijI1vr34&feature=em-subs_digest