Tyre Pressures ?

zak3737
zak3737 Posts: 370
edited November 2014 in Road general
Just wondered what tyre pressures people run at .....?
I checked mine today, after cleaning post ride etc, and they were only at 80psi-ish, so wapped in some air up to 100psi.Tyres are Spesh Roubiax Armadilo Elite 23/25c.

I'm 95kg, and happier with a 'comfier' ride in all honesty, so just wondered what the concensus is ?

I didnt feel particularly good all ride, bit sluggish & a bit off the pace, which in my world, aint very fast anyway !
Decided to put it down to the 3 pints of Stella in Pub last night, and slight cough i've had this week... :(
However, perhaps pressures 'may' have been a factor too ?

Comments

• mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    The 15% drop rule gives good results. Note that the front tyre needs less pressure than the rear.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I’ve always aimed for somewhere near the middle of the range stated on the side of the tyre. At this time of year you get a bit more grip with lower pressures of course
  • 93.2 front, 101.2 rear
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    28mm GP4S and about 97kg, 25mm GP4000S on summer bike. I run the front at 95psi and the back about 97psi. Both tyres roughly the same size, maybe the GP4000S slightly bigger.

Doesn't matter what variances I run my tyres' psi, I'll always be slower than the lighter guys, so ride as much as you can and close that gap!!!
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    100 PSI min front and rear....
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^This
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As long as they are not too low causing more punctures / a loss of control or too high so you get a lot of vibration / punctures it's just what you prefer. I am around 100kg and have 23mm tyres at 105psi, mainly because I did that pressure by accident and it works well for me.
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    bit of a chunky monkey have mise at 110psi
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • Kajjal wrote:
    I am around 100kg and have 23mm tyres at 105psi, mainly because I did that pressure by accident and it works well for me.

How bad was the accident, was it as a result of incorrect pressures?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • kajjal
    Kajjal wrote:
    I am around 100kg and have 23mm tyres at 105psi, mainly because I did that pressure by accident and it works well for me.

Sorry to be clear I just pumped up the front tyre and it got to 105 psi before I looked at the gauge. Set the rear pressure the same. I chose the tyre pressure by accident not had an accident.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Kajjal wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

Sorry to be clear I just pumped up the front tyre and it got to 105 psi before I looked at the gauge. Set the rear pressure the same. I chose the tyre pressure by accident not had an accident.
    He knows that. He's taking the piss
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • kajjal
    ;).
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I run my road bikes at 105-110 ish front and rear.

I once (in curiosity) ran my steel homebuilt fixed-gear bike at 140 front and rear on some strange Vittoria tyres.

It was whippet-fast, but in a fortnight I got two loose fillings.

I'm back to 105-110 and my teeth are as they should be.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Debeli wrote:
    I run my road bikes at 105-110 ish front and rear.

I once (in curiosity) ran my steel homebuilt fixed-gear bike at 140 front and rear on some strange Vittoria tyres.

It was whippet-fast, but in a fortnight I got two loose fillings.

I'm back to 105-110 and my teeth are as they should be.
    I'd be surprised if there was any real impact on speed.
    Any reason you keep the front as high as the back? Just like the feel of a firm front end?
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    Ai_1 wrote:
    I'd be surprised if there was any real impact on speed.
    Any reason you keep the front as high as the back? Just like the feel of a firm front end?

I'd agree with that. It just felt very lively and seemed barely to touch the tarmac, which I enjoyed. It was not so much speed (which is always a strange measure with fixed in a hilly county) but a feeling of ease of progress and connection to the road.

As to having the pressures the same front and rear.... I just always have. I do what feels OK and just as 105 both ends feels good for most occasions, so 140 both ends felt good on the fixed.

Riding off-road, I don't even measure the pressure, I just know from squishing the tyre with my hand what I want. It is probably wrong most of the time, but it is a system I believe in.