Tumble-Drying

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited November 2014 in MTB general
OK, we've just taken delivery of our first ever tumble-drier, and reading the manual (I know, I don't believe I did it, either) it says not to use it for any clothes containing foam pads (so that's short liners out) or wool (so that's anything with Merino excluded, too).

Now, I know what these things are like - manufacturers often warn you against using their stuff for anything but the most mundane tasks just to cover their own arses, so I'm wondering if this is the sort of thing i should take seriously or not.

So, does everyone out there routinely tumble-dry their liners and merino socks? Or, has anyone completely ruined something by putting it in the drier?

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Put delicate stuff in a bag (like a bit tea bag). What do your shorts say about laundry care? There's usually a label.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    dodgy wrote:
    Put delicate stuff in a bag (like a bit tea bag).

It's not the physical robustness of them I'm worried about, but more the heat causing damage to the materials..
    What do your shorts say about laundry care? There's usually a label.

Yeah, they say do not tumble dry, but again, nearly everything seems to say that - even got some pure cotton t-shirts with the "do not tumble dry" symbol on them - more prime, grade-A arse-covering I assume :roll:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I chuck everything in the dryer (including padded shorts) except wool (unless I forget).
    Everything seems to be fine (except the wool, when I forget).

But you can give the dry woolly stuff to small children so not all bad.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have lycra from the 70's and 80's (last millenium). Still fine, if a bit garish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I tumble endura shorts on a low temp . I did once set fire to a tumble drier with a foam filled cushion a cat had peed on.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I tumble endura shorts on a low temp . I did once set fire to a tumble drier with a foam filled cushion a cat had peed on.

you should have taken the cat out of the dryer then.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I try not to tumble wool and definitely would avoid merino in there as it will shrink to fit a barbie doll. Most other stuff on low is fine - my ride jerseys all say dry hanging but all go int he dryer with no ill effects.

Cotton tees can shrink so if it says dont tumble its your risk. Generally if they have been washed a few times they are good to go though.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I just hang up all my cycle gear, doesn't take long to dry
  • I'll ask the mrs what she does if you like?
  • paul.skibum
    I'll ask the mrs what she does if you like?

Like.

But obviously disapprove from a metro sexual, non chauvinist point of view.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Why do you bother washing riding kit? It's only going to get dirty within 5 minutes and once your moving the breeze carries away any smell. Seems a bit ott to me?
  • But you're ferral
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why do you bother washing riding kit? It's only going to get dirty within 5 minutes and once your moving the breeze carries away any smell. Seems a bit ott to me?

eb6.jpg?1307463786

Never tumble dry my kit, it all dries within a couple of hours.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Just hung over, with a day off and having to sit in waiting for a delivery!

But a bit more seriously all my kit dries being hung up for a couple of hours so no need to tumble
  • paul.skibum
    Ferrals wrote:
    Just hung over, with a day off and having to sit in waiting for a delivery!

But a bit more seriously all my kit dries being hung up for a couple of hours so no need to tumble

I`d hang dry everything if I had more space but my little 1 bed apartment is messy and cluttered enough with three bikes, a bike repair stand and a pile of tools and spares without a load of drying washing too!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Oh I so wish this was in the cruddie!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Oh I so wish this was in the cruddie!

Just give it a go. See what happens.