Road tyres.

19dm82
19dm82 Posts: 70
edited November 2014 in MTB beginners
Looking to put some tyres on the mountain bike I have. Could any one offer help on what would be the closet I could get to racer tyre's. Any help on tyre's and tubes I need is much appreciated, looked on ebay and loads to choose from. These are the rims on the bike Rims: Sun Ringlé Radium MA 29, QR/QR

Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The lightest, thinnest that will fit on your rims. Which are what size?
    What do you want to ride?

But I prefer fatter slicks for commuting. Just as fast and more comfortable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you have 29er wheels you can use 700c road tyres, I'd use something around a 28 or 32mm, they roll with lowest drag, only a small aero penalty over thinner tyres but nit really relevant if you are in an MTB.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    I've used Schwalbe City Jet tyres and Continental SportContact on a mtb for road use for many years, roll well, no puncture issues and doesn't drain your wallet. I think 1.5 to 1.65 size rings a bell with me. This was on 26" mtb wheels on a hardtail
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    +1 for Schwalbe City Jet 2000 miles and still going and not a puncture in slight...
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    Another for City Jets....

If you search around you'll find many threads on just this.
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    yep all true more than 2000 miles easy all on country roads give or take a few miles