People just suprise me sometimes

djfleming22
djfleming22 Posts: 116
edited November 2014 in Commuting general
I was cycling along my usual route today which is a country type road, traffic going backwards and forwards and no people walking along that stretch of road ... i noticed a young boy about the age of 12 pushing a bike i stopped to ask him if he is ok and he tells me he has a puncture .. i ask him if he has a repair kit which he reply's no and also his phone is dead so nobody to phone .. i have only to cycle another couple of miles to get home and this young chap has about 10 miles ...i ask him if he can repair a flat to which he shakes his head ... as i was changing the tube he points to a car and says that's his mother drawing up ..she parks about 20 feet from us as i expect her to get out, no she just sits there, about another 10 minutes passes and she still sits there not getting out of her car to even say thanks or offer any money for the tube, the bike is fixed up and the boy says thank-you, i give him a little advice get a tool kit and learn how to use it, join a club a meet other people who can tag along with, if you pass anyone who needs help stop and give them a hand and always be polite even if others are not. The boy jumps on his bike and follows him not even looking in my direction... Would i stop again... absolutely yes

Sorry but another as well ... last Saturday coming home in a busy town, i was checking the traffic to go into another lane but before i knew it i had hit a pothole and down i went, when i got up i noticed all the traffic going around me not one person stopped to see if i was alright ... as anyone who has come off will knows its bloody sore, well i ended up with a very bruised, scratched leg and elbow .. the rest of the damage .. brand new first day on Gabba 2 Jacket several holes, holed bibs and scratches to my new 105 levers, power meter and bike, no point in contacting the council i will get the same help from them as the people who passed be me when i fell off.

Do people really care these days ... i hope so

Comments

• Lefthook
    Lefthook Posts: 124
    Council might be worth it if you can be bothered for the fight.

Took a Freedom of Information request and six emails to the council and 5 months, but I ended up getting paid out on about £300 worth of damage. I think they paid out on a relatively small amount just to make me go away.

Although the council had inspected the road within timeframe to be covered by Section 58 of the Highways Act (the usual way they deny responsibility) I could show they had documented the pothole, but deemed it not dangerous enough to repair. A few pointed questions about how this level of danger was assessed, ie dangerous to a car or to a bike, and they paid up.

So worth a punt if it will cost you to get repairs done. Just don't be discouraged by the initial default response.
  • Many thanks Lefthook will give it a try...
    Lefthook wrote:
    Council might be worth it if you can be bothered for the fight.

Took a Freedom of Information request and six emails to the council and 5 months, but I ended up getting paid out on about £300 worth of damage. I think they paid out on a relatively small amount just to make me go away.

Although the council had inspected the road within timeframe to be covered by Section 58 of the Highways Act (the usual way they deny responsibility) I could show they had documented the pothole, but deemed it not dangerous enough to repair. A few pointed questions about how this level of danger was assessed, ie dangerous to a car or to a bike, and they paid up.

So worth a punt if it will cost you to get repairs done. Just don't be discouraged by the initial default response.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I stopped for a young lady on a reasonably nice Spesh road bike (OK I'll admit she was more than averagely attractive), the chain had come off the outside of the cassette and jammed in the frame - it was going nowhere, I removed the rear wheel, refitted with chain in the right place and tweaked the indexing a bit to make it safer and gave her some suggestions on getting it sorted and not to use top gear to be safe until it was, in return she was very thankful and offered me some money (I declined) I then followed her slightly out my way to the edge of town to make sure she was OK (OK, again not a hardship!). If EVER I see a cyclist stopped and I always make sure they are OK before continuing, do unto others as you have done unto you.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • katiebob
    katiebob Posts: 208
    Sorry but another as well ... last Saturday coming home in a busy town, i was checking the traffic to go into another lane but before i knew it i had hit a pothole and down i went, when i got up i noticed all the traffic going around me not one person stopped to see if i was alright ... as anyone who has come off will knows its bloody sore, well i ended up with a very bruised, scratched leg and elbow .. the rest of the damage .. brand new first day on Gabba 2 Jacket several holes, holed bibs and scratches to my new 105 levers, power meter and bike, no point in contacting the council i will get the same help from them as the people who passed be me when i fell off.

Do people really care these days ... i hope so

When I got knocked off on a busy roundabout, only ONE person (apart from the car that hit me) stopped. Lots drove round me as I was lying in the road and a fair few beeped me to move! :roll:

I always offer assistance to cyclists who look like they need help, but only have limited skills myself so not sure how much use I can be!