Accident with London bus and cyclist - advice required

pedgepuk
pedgepuk Posts: 7
edited November 2014 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I'm looking at some advice on how to proceed with my case against a London bus driver who from the information given to me by witnesses, was intending to cause harm whilst I was cycling home from work on Wednesday evening (12th November).

I won't fully explain what happened as it'll be too long winded, but in short, the bus driver cut me up on approaching a bus stop on the A23 in Oval, London and stopped the bus, whereby I nearly fell off due to a pothole having been squeezed towards the kerbside. I cycled to the front of the bus and placed my bike in front of the bus so to get his details. He refused and when asked why he didn't allow me to go ahead, he responded that "I was too small". When asked again he replied "because I don't give a f*ck". I was standing in front of the bus so I can get my phone to take evidence but he instead reversed and proceeded to go towards me to mow me down, whereby I had to jump out of the way to the middle of the road with oncoming traffic.

I was determined to get the drivers details so followed the bus and ended up 2 miles away in Herne Hill. The bus arrived at the bus stop and I had my phone recording. I asked him again, he flipped the birdie whilst I was panning towards him. He started coming towards me to mow me down yet again, and when driving off he said "it's because I don't give a f*ck". Again I had to jump out of the way.

On continuing cycling, I ended up along side the driver and said that I've got his details then proceeded in front to get to the left hand lane. He sped up as I could hear from behind and from the reflection of the headlights on the road getting brighter. I had to gain speed as he was now raging, then suddenly as I approached the traffic lights, he's either clipped me or forced me into another cyclist and we've both hit the ground. The bus driver then deliberately drives over my bike which is now a write off.

I've received injuries which include lacerations/grazes/cuts/bruises to my left arm, legs, ankle, hip, hands, shoulder and face. Later that night I was given stitches in A&E.

The police turned up 30mins after the incident and took statements from the driver and myself. The witnesses had dispersed by then although some have been in touch and I've a main witness who was at the front of the bus by the driver cab where she screamed at him to slow down and was he trying to kill me.

I've contacted TFL and the bus company to which I'm waiting on a response to also include CCTV footage from the bus as well as the street cameras of where the two incidents occurred. The bus driver gave me his details at the scene although I later found out that he's provided me with false information when the police officer cross checked the info.

So my queries are:
- Should I involve a solicitor immediately?
- Should I chase the police or await for their contact? I've been told it will take 2 weeks.
- The police officer who queried the information given to me by the driver didn't note that the information provided to me was false. Should I track down the officer down so that this is recorded in his notes?
- The bike is a write off, cycle clothing ripped, mobile phone smashed and other accessories destroyed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Peds

Comments

• Get legal advice right away and go see the police yourself. Make it happen, don't wait for it to come to you. Bus companies are very bad to deal with.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Not a lawyer, but I'd agree with redbikejohn. Do you know the bus number and time - if so the driver should be identifiable. There would seem to be several offenses though.

If you are a member of CTC or British Cycling they have legal advice - I don''t know how it works if it is after the event.
  • Jesus! What a looney. i'm glad you are alive. i wouldnt have chased him but take a snap of the number plate and reported him that way. the reaction and escalation was ridiculous. hopefully the bus co will have the cctv and sack him immediately.
    defo seek solicitor advice immediately and keep chasing the police and bus company.
    good luck in getting justice but dont be daft and chase after busses again, they are a lot bigger than you!
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • Sack him?! If there's evidence for the OPs version of events, which there damn well should be on a TfL bus in Central London, then I'd say the driver is looking at a decent jail term.
  • Blimey, sounds like you got away fairly lucky, compared to what could have happened! :shock:

From what you say here, there sounds to have been several criminal acts committed, not least dangerous driving, and even attempted GBH, or worse.

From that I would say the Police should be front and centre on this, and the CPS doing their bit. Only if the CPS drop the ball, and you have to go civil should you need a solicitor.

Either way solicitors offer free first consults, so find one with a good history of traffic related work, and see if they offer this service. If you're in a cycling bidy, or even on your home insureance, check the free legal advise cover, and use it if it's there.
  • I witnessed a bus run somebody over and kill them on a set of pedestrian lights and despite CCTV the bloke got off. They have lawyers provided by union and bus company.

That is all by the by - if you are looking for compensation then appoint a lawyer... others on here know far more than me but don't delay and Slater Gordon seem to have a good reputation