Christmas Drinks

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited November 2014 in The cake stop
My usual line up is JD, Tanqueray, decent red, half decent fizz, Budweiser, Magners (Red Apple was my fave when they did it) and Old Speckled Hen/Buttcombe Gold + a Christmas special/blast from the past like Malibu, Southern Comfort or Pernod etc.

Thinking of trying JD single/silver single barrel and Tanqueray No. Ten this year. Are they worth it?
Wife likes other gins, but Tanqueray is my fave and the bottle is very Chrismassy in colour (think the No. Ten comes in two bottle types and one is the same colour as the standard one) so I will not be swayed on the gin.
Any tips on the decent reds or Christmas special?

No, I have not been drinking.

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    Christmas drinks = champagne, cider, rum and JD

ie, normal mix with the volume increased
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    matthew h wrote:

Trust you to think of booze at ten to eight on a Sunday morning :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    arran77 wrote:
    matthew h wrote:

Trust you to think of booze at ten to eight on a Sunday morning :lol:

well, we are going out later - you have to have a plan
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I shall have water - from the tap. Christmas is a time for prayer and reflection and not for celebration.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Louis XIII for a xmas toast.
    DRC Romanee Conti 1960 whilst eating xmas dinner.
    Living MY dream.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    This could have the makings of great festive thread
    Speckled hen, cocker hoop, Guinness, Merlots and Cabernet Sauvignons, presecco and a good cava , talisker and arbelour for me after all Xmas is a time for getting pished!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    If you're setting light to your Christmas pudding and celebrating with some fizz you'll already have the ingredients for the French 75 cocktail (Cognac version), so it would be a pity not to make one (or three):

1 1/2 oz cognac
    1 oz lemon juice
    1 tsp sugar
    6 oz Champagne

Combine cognac, sugar and lemon juice in shaker. Add ice and shake till chilled. Pour into champagne flute. Pour champagne over cognac concoction. Garnish with lemon curl.

This drink is most often served in a Champagne Flute

( from: http://www.cocktails.eu )
  • Baileys. Always baileys. Followed by a few buckets of mulled wine (try and find somebody with a shaky hand to administer the brandy into the mixture :wink: ).
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    FishFish wrote:
    I shall have water - from the tap. Christmas is a time for prayer and reflection and not for celebration.

Christmas is for buying presents and getting drunk.
  • Been a bit slack on the brewing front - my summer sabbatical extended into November. Now have some India Pale Ale and US- style saison to be kegged sometime this week. Then I'll get another brew on - some proper strong ale I think.

Also went to Belgium yesterday for some beer. And wine in Calais on the way home. And some gin on the ferry. My house is awash with booze. One thing I did pick up recently was Angostura bitters for pink gins.

It's all about quality, not quantity of course. And remember to enjoy responsibly. :wink:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    VTech wrote:
    DRC Romanee Conti 1960 whilst eating xmas dinner.

Can't you get anything any newer :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    pinot noir for a special occasion, surely not :roll:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Carbonator wrote:
    My usual line up is JD, Tanqueray, decent red, half decent fizz, Budweiser, Magners (Red Apple was my fave when they did it), Old Speckled Hen/Buttcombe Gold, Malibu, Southern Comfort and Pernod.

shaken or stirred?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Shropshire lad, Dalmore Alexander III, Guinness, Silex, Champagne, mulled wine and Irish coffee with Jameson's.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Some good reds and whites. Andwells King John & Ruddy Darter and Orkney Dark Island. Tobermory single malt.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I'm very disappointed in this thread, I thought we were being invited out for a drink.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    FishFish wrote:

Jesus was into home brew if I recall, and didn't mind the odd tipple (John 2: 1-11). So, you can have wine if you like, unless you're holier than jesus? :wink:

The older I get, the better I was.

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    It's important to get this right. So important that it's worth spending eleven and a half months making sure you've considered all the possibilities.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Christmas day:- Bucks Fizz in the morning, prosecco in the afternoon with decent red and white for dinner.

Boxing Day (morning):- Tea as I'm driving.

Boxing Day (lunch):- A few pints of Peroni in the bar at Manchester Airport.

Boxing Day (afternoon):- Whatever plonk is available in flight.

Boxing Day Evening:- Whatever wine my parents stock up on whilst having dinner overlooking Lake Como.

Onwards to early January:- Various beers/wine/vodka & Red Bull in Madonna Di Campiglio.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Boxing Day Evening:- Whatever wine my parents stock up on whilst having dinner overlooking Lake Como.

Onwards to early January:- Various beers/wine/vodka & Red Bull in Madonna Di Campiglio.
    With the exception of the vodka and Calpol that sounds idyllic.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    FishFish wrote:

I find looking at calm water a good time for reflection.
  • I rather liked Creme Brûlée Latte from Costa the other year. Also the Vanilla Spice Latte from Starbucks ...
    Neither on the menu this time around :(
    Still thinking of something clever to say!