Mobile telephone advice.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited December 2014 in The cake stop
I took my 2 month old LG Nexus 5 in for repair. From one day to another the touch screen did not work anymore.I brought it in for repair on the 4Th October and heard nothing at all for 5 weeks. Eventually i called the shop who told me that they had not recieved any word from the repairers as to the repair status.I was told that the shop will send an email immediately asking whats going on as its very unusual that a Phone is 5 weeks in for repair and they dont hear anything.I told the shop that i also found it strange that the online inlog code that i was given to check the repair status kept coming up with a message saying that the code that i have given is incorrect. Later that day the shop called me and told me that the Phone had been inspected on the 16Th October and had been written off as it shows signs of water damage. This is not covered by the guarantee. The company also sent very poor quality photos allegedly showing the damage. The shop admit that the photos are of very poor quality but say they have to accept the decision of the company who repair the Phone.
I,ve since contacted my Insurance company who say that i can claim on my house Insurance however i need the Phone returning to me so that i can give this to the Insurance company who will then process the claim. But heres the problem, the repairers have lost the Phone. The shop say its not their problem and the repairers say they are still looking. How long should i let this go on for.Any tips advice welcome.
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is it the shop where you got the phone from?

Not sure how things work in the Netherlands, but I would say its the shops responsibility and if they are saying its not I would get onto that straight away.

Sounds like they are saying it was water damaged to try to stop you wanting it back.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    You are completely covered by EU law on this.
    As a telephone you can prove it is an item that you require as a daily item and due to the fact the item is lot you need only give them an ultimatum to get a new phone.
    Give them 24 hours notice in writing to sort the phone out otherwise you will issue claims.
    They will replace the phone unless it is a "dodgy" company.
    Living MY dream.
  • Move to Nexus 6... stronger, more intelligent... better altogether...

nexus6.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • ademort
    Carbonator wrote:
    Is it the shop where you got the phone from?

Not sure how things work in the Netherlands, but I would say its the shops responsibility and if they are saying its not I would get onto that straight away.

Sounds like they are saying it was water damaged to try to stop you wanting it back.

Yes i took the Phone back to the shop where i got it from. The Phone was 3 months old and in perfect condition.I will be paying a visit to the shop tomorrow.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Move to Nexus 6... stronger, more intelligent... better altogether...

nexus6.jpg

Yeah, and you should get 5 years out of it, maybe ten if you turn the brightness down ('the light that shines twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned oh so brightly Roy..')
  • ademort
    Update
    Last week i was called into the shop and informed by the manager that LG are giving me a new phone to replace the old one. They have also offered an apology as it,s taken so long. I can pick the phone up tomorrow. I,m one very happy Ademort. :D
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Good result. My lad's Sony Experia had to go in after the charge port failed. That took something like 6-8 weeks to get resolved. Fortunately Phones4U were still operating at that time. Again, the shop staff were good - it was somewhere down the repair chain that was less than useful and not very communicative.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Good that it was sorted. We'll see how I get on today - Galaxy Note 2, just under 24 months old so still in warranty, has just died from the insane chip bug. Taking it in to the repair centre, the only issue is that it is rooted which voids the guarantee - however I'm fairly sure consumer law is on my side here, as it's a well-known issue (see the link) caused by a known manufacturing fault, so they should be obliged to fix it regardless.
    I hope.
  • ademort
    bompington wrote:
    Good that it was sorted. We'll see how I get on today - Galaxy Note 2, just under 24 months old so still in warranty, has just died from the insane chip bug. Taking it in to the repair centre, the only issue is that it is rooted which voids the guarantee - however I'm fairly sure consumer law is on my side here, as it's a well-known issue (see the link) caused by a known manufacturing fault, so they should be obliged to fix it regardless.
    I hope.

I hope you get it sorted.
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura