Is it straight forward?

Rad2474
Rad2474 Posts: 162
edited November 2014 in MTB general
I'm hoping for next spring/summer to convert my kona fs to a 1x10 setup. It's currently a 3x10 is it straight forward change the chainrings for a single narrow/wide tooth chain ring and put maybe a 40/42 tooth expander sprocket on the rear? or is someone going to spoil it for me and tell me it's not that straight forward. Thanks.

Comments

• It depends.

Some mechs don't work with it. Some do. Some it works ok. Some cranks are better for it than others. Some they'll bolt on. Some don't fit the BCD for the intended/needed teeth. Some cassettes work. Some don't.

So it depends.
  • Rad2474
    Rad2474 Posts: 162
    It depends.

Some mechs don't work with it. Some do. Some it works ok. Some cranks are better for it than others. Some they'll bolt on. Some don't fit the BCD for the intended/needed teeth. Some cassettes work. Some don't.

So it depends.
    My rear mech is a shimano xt shadow and the crank arms are shimano M552. was thinking of getting a 30/32 tooth chainring.
  • Mech might work. Depends in the B screw extender and if the arm hits the outer sprocket which is quite common on the 42t one. Cranks should be fine for chainline. 30t is pushing it in the 104 BCD. No idea about cassette as you don't say. So it depends and is very costly to get what a triple offers with a tad more weight and less actual range.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you're going to 42t get a One Up Rad cage for your mech. It's pretty cheap and will work a lot better. My medium cage XT mech is on the limit with a 40t range expander. Your cranks will be fine.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    If you're going to 42t get a One Up Rad cage for your mech. It's pretty cheap and will work a lot better. My medium cage XT mech is on the limit with a 40t range expander. Your cranks will be fine.
    There's a little washer thing under the b screw that you can remove to get more clearance.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Lewis A wrote:
    There's a little washer thing under the b screw that you can remove to get more clearance.

Yep, I had to take it out for my 40t.
  • Lewis A
    Ah, 42t is ridiculously large anyway...
  • rockmonkeysc
    I found 34t up front with an 11t-40t cassette will get me up just about any hill.
  • Lewis A
    I have man legs and 34/36t gets me up everything around here (highlands). I wouldn't be interested in effectively buying two cassettes just to get a few extra teeth.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Love to see you around Wharncliffe. Maybe a challenge ;-) Or maybe just me lol.
  • Lewis A
    If Strava is correct then the steepest climb at Wharncliffe is 36%, which is insane. I think the steepest climb around here is about 28% or something, but what you can get up greatly depends on the riding surface of course. The more you ride in a harder gear the easier it gets... I was riding the majority of stuff with 32/32t for a while before I went 1*10, you very quickly get used to it. But then I am weird and enjoy seeing how high a gear I can get up a steep climb in.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I run 30t x 42t as my lowest gear - if I have to pedal uphill for 30 minutes or more I dont see any reason to pile on the misery.

To the OP - I run a long cage XT mech which worked fine with a 42t expander without any excessive fiddling with the B screw. I have an XT cassette, the One UP expander (42t and 16t) and I run a Blackspire NW chainring on the front. The chainring is a 104BCD and fitted to a Shimano Deore crank.

I also went 1x10 on my hardtail - SLX long cage mech, standard 10 speed 11-36t SLX cassette and a Raceface 36t front ring, again 104BCD on a deore crank. 36t to 36t works on that as it stays nearer the valley floor so less prolonged climbing.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    30t must be very limiting on descents, you must spin out very easily. 32t is understandable but around here even that's a bit small.
  • Lewis A
    I spin out on some descents around here with a 34t... 30 would be crazy. The only scenario I could see myself getting an expander in would be so I could have a larger chainring for descents.
  • Just converted...went to 36T 11-36 So far so good good range pretty much same as I had before with just missing my top gear...used to ride 44/29 11-34 so simplified system and lost 1/2 lb off bike.