New chain + cassette -slipping

father_jack
father_jack Posts: 3,509
edited November 2014 in Workshop
Fitted a new chain, and a new cassette. When I pedal (lightly) it seems ok but put a little bit of pressure on the pedals and something is slipping, like the cassette teeth are worn right down.

What's going on? Is the rear hub knackered?
Say... That's a nice bike..
Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Could be the freehub indeed.
    Does the chain slip on all cogs or only the smaller ones?
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    Does it happen on the other chainrings?
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Do your chainring teeth look like sharks fins?
  • father_jack
    Ordered spare chain and cassette as spares, also ordered new chainring I'll try that.

It feels like rear end is slipping, having a trainer could be useful.

Also on the other bike something is slipping a little too, but the geartrain is pretty new one that.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Very common. Nothing to do with your hub, I'd put money on it.

Your old chain had become so worn, it had also worn your cassette, but they were happily meshed together in their worn state.

You've now put a new chain on, but the cassette is now worn and won't mesh correctly with the chain (I've simplified this).

Simple answer, look after your chain and change it before it's worn (0.75% usually) and you won't have to change your cassette when you renew your chain, after 3 chains on the same cassette, you'll probably need to also change the cassette.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    dodgy wrote:
    Very common. Nothing to do with your hub, I'd put money on it.

Your old chain had become so worn, it had also worn your cassette, but they were happily meshed together in their worn state.

You've now put a new chain on, but the cassette is now worn and won't mesh correctly with the chain (I've simplified this)....
    He says he replaced both the chain and the cassette so this is not the problem.
    If the slip is indeed at the back then something else must be at fault. Worn chainrings could also slip (I have this problem at the moment) but if that was the problem it would be pretty obvious.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Bugger, what an idiot, sorry for misreading the original post :D
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Look for a stiff link on the chain, that seems to happen quite a lot.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    On two separate occasions (a while ago) I've had a new 9 speed KMC chain skip on a new shimano 9 sp cassette. After about 100 or so miles the skipping stopped- never to return.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Some new chains are slightly shorter then others, Campagnolo and KMC are the suspects and they might slip on some new cassettes the first miles.
  • Corrosion inside the hub can stop the pawls engaging correctly and as a higher torque comes on it can slip. Had it on the wife's MTB might be worth a look.
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Inspect the teeth on the chainrings for obvious 'shark tooth' wear.
    Also check the fit of the new chain on the chainrings - at the most forward position on the ring, pull the chain out-and-away from the ring - it should only pull away a small bit.

Did you buy the correct type chain for the number of cogs on the cassette?
    Inspect the fit of the chain on the cassette to make certain the chain is fully engaged with the teeth on the cassette teeth.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • father_jack
    Changed middle chainring, it's ok now.

Looking at my order list from a bike shop, new chain/chainring/cassette order is every year! I'd say 3600 miles, if I go by 260 work days in a year, 7 mile x 2 trip. Plus doing shopping working another place, so 4000 miles.

That doesn't seem a lot.