Broken chain advice pls =)

Barnymeinhoff
Barnymeinhoff Posts: 62
edited November 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Chain snapped at the weekend, bit miffed as was about a month old and not really ridden that hard,

have removed link and re attached chain however my question is...is this a long term solution or should one always replace the chain at the first opportunity.

Thanks,

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If it was the correct length to start with, it will now be too short and you run the risk of ripping your mech/hanger off.

I would measure it properly and either replace it or add link(s) (using a master link).

You don't say which chain - if a Shimano and you used the little useless joining pin, it will snap again soon.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Chains break - no reason to replace the whole thing unless you have reason to think it's worn or damaged. I had one go twice in about a mile, once, but it then carried on to do another 400 miles without any more problems...

You don't specify how you "re-attached" it, but if you removed a whole double link (one inner, one outer) and rejoined using a chain tool, it may now be too short, as CD says. If you just used a "quick link" to replace a broken outer link, then it should be fine.
  • Thanks both, =) was is a shimano and yes re attached by removing double and re pinning with chain tool.

will get a replacement at the weekend.
  • jimothy78
    Thanks both, =) was is a shimano and yes re attached by removing double and re pinning with chain tool.

will get a replacement at the weekend.

Get a KMC - better chain for less money and comes with a missing link.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This ^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It will now be too short. Shimano chains are good (unless 9 speed) but the joining pin is crap.
  • I fixed my chain last week using an extra link (how much of a rip off by the way), but on a test ride on the road it broke after four miles.

After this experience if it breaks buy a new one and have a spare in your pack. From my experience I wasted half the amount of a new chain on new links.

New chain has not broken yet.
  • jimothy78
    JayKay3000 wrote:
    I fixed my chain last week using an extra link, but on a test ride on the road it broke after four miles.

That's strange - I've never had problems with the strength of them - in fact, the last time my chain broke, it was because the outer link next in line after the quick-link got pulled apart; quick link must have been under just as much strain, but was clearly stronger than the next machine-joined link.
    After this experience if it breaks buy a new one and have a spare in your pack. From my experience I wasted half the amount of a new chain on new links.

You don't need to buy links separately - if you always buy a new chain that comes with one, you'll always have a spare link (from your last chain) to carry in your pack, and anyway, last time I checked, KMC quick links were 2 for £3 on ebay - hardly a rip off when a new chain costs at least £10-15...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Did it break at the fix or at a different location?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:

I'm sorry i don't understand the question?
  • jimothy78
    The Rookie wrote:

I'm sorry i don't understand the question?

I think the question was aimed at JayKay3000 :wink:
  • Different location.

I guess if the ops chain was a month old though I'd try a new link. I only replaced my chain because it broke after so few test miles.
    It could have been a bad link. I guess you won't really know till you ride. A month seems rather short. I'd probably still buy a new one for peace of mind.