Product review - Solar Storm twin XML bike light

2»

Comments

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If any of these do rotate on the bars, a bit of old inner tube underneath can help. I do that with mine (not solar storm but same O-ring mount).
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    apreading wrote:
    If any of these do rotate on the bars, a bit of old inner tube underneath can help. I do that with mine (not solar storm but same O-ring mount).

I had problems with it slipping round (because the mount is designed for standard width bars, but I was attaching it to an oversized area of mine, so it had limited contact area) - Brushed a little modeller's latex onto the parts of the mount that actually do make contact, and all good now.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Couldn't resist, have just ordered!
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    Lightmalls doing them for a ridiculous £8 (12.55 usd) without the 4 x 18650 pack if you have an old one knocking about:
    http://www.lightmalls.com/solarstorm-x2 ... -lamp-only
    Just ordered two, one for bars, one for helmet :mrgreen:
  • jimothy78
    In contrast to the above - I've recently noticed some on ebay with two battery packs for about £20 odd. Might be a worthwhile investment if you do a lot of night riding, as it will buy you more time between recharging cycles, or let you ride with one pack whilst the other is charging.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Hi guys, reding this post and my question is:

Do they give wider light rather than spot-light ??
    I have already got one spot light but looking for something bit more diffuse ?

Has anybody got any photos ??
  • jimothy78
    kinioo wrote:

My post from another thread:
    I wrote:
    Quick comparative beam shot at short range:
    photo_zps58384295.jpg
    Beam on right is the 2-LED Solarstorm unit with 4-cell battery;
    Beam on left is a single-LED handtorch-type light using the same type of LED chip and one cell.
    Both on full charge and maximum brightness setting.

As you can see, the single-LED torch has a very "flat" beam, with quite pronounced edges (it also has an obvious secondary halo, separated from the main beam by a darker ring, though you can't see these features in the photo) this gives very little "punch" down the trail, and the eye is instead drawn to the edges, where features closer to the rider, but to either side of the trail, are more brightly illuminated.

In contrast, the double unit has a much more progressive intensity spread, giving a really good "punch" in the centre, down the trail, and a more diffuse periphery. The overall effect is far superior for trail riding.

Personally, I find the beam is as wide as I would want for trail riding, especially when used in conjunction with a head-torch (for seeing round corners).
  • kinioo
    jimothy78 wrote:
    kinioo wrote:

I wrote:
    photo_zps58384295.jpg
    Beam on left is a single-LED handtorch-type light using the same type of LED chip and one cell.

As you can see, the single-LED torch has a very "flat" beam, with quite pronounced edges (it also has an obvious secondary halo, separated from the main beam by a darker ring, though you can't see these features in the photo) this gives very little "punch" down the trail, and the eye is instead drawn to the edges, where features closer to the rider, but to either side of the trail, are more brightly illuminated.

In contrast, the double unit has a much more progressive intensity spread, giving a really good "punch" in the centre, down the trail, and a more diffuse periphery. The overall effect is far superior for trail riding.

Personally, I find the beam is as wide as I would want for trail riding, especially when used in conjunction with a head-torch (for seeing round corners).

Cheers mate.

Yes, I do have one spot light which will be mounted on my helmet to look a bit further but need something to mount on my bars - so this double-set looks good - may give it a go.
  • kinioo
    jimothy78 wrote:
    kinioo wrote:

I wrote:
    photo_zps58384295.jpg

I ordered one !!!!

If Its not good I will kill you jimothy78 :)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Mine just arrived. So far feels solid enough & looks very, very bright. For the money I would say it has to function for less than a year to be worthwhile.
  • kinioo
    Still waiting for mine.....

Edit:

Just arrived.
    Blimey, its tiny !!!
    Will it provide enough light ??
    Will find out tonight.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I sold mine... Lots of light but a pretty poor beam pattern- very bright, narrow centrespot, fairly narrow wider beam (the hotspot is bad news since your eyes adjust to the brightest point of vision- so you end up with less usable vision outside of the hotspot. Very chase-the-dot. Pisspoor charger and pretty rough battery. That's all pretty negative comments, but for the price it's still a good buy imo, especially if you have a safer charger you can use. You read a lot about people buying the Solarstorms then buying a new battery and charger, that makes zero sense though.

If you can afford to spend a little more, it's well worthwhile doing so IMO, you don't have to spend a fortune- lights like my Magicshine MJ872s are still under the £100 mark and are proper quality units not bargain basement, with decent chargers and batteries and a much superior beam. But if you want to spend a very small amount and get out night riding that's cool too, I wish these had been around when I'd got my first night lights (which cost more, and were rubbish)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That's quite odd - I found the beam on mine to be much wider and more uniform than say the typical single LED MS clone. Though I agree on the battery, mine degraded quickly. I wonder if there are different lensed versions about?
  • kinioo
    Hmmmm, tried it last night and must say I was expecting it ti be a bit wider.
    I compared it with my single light and it is slightly wider but not as you'd expect from double unit.
    Cant comment on the battery / charger as yet.

I am still on the market for some light with much WIDER/SPREADED light...but will not spend £100+.

Chris
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    kinioo wrote:
    I compared it with my single light and it is slightly wider but not as you'd expect from double unit.

I am still on the market for some light with much WIDER/SPREADED light...but will not spend £100+.

Chris

Put some privacy film over one of the lenses....
  • Hi All

How hot do these lights get, I see they have cooling fins on them, I want to get something helmet mounted.
  • Northwind
    supersonic wrote:
    That's quite odd - I found the beam on mine to be much wider and more uniform than say the typical single LED MS clone.

It is much better than the single XML magicshine, but then they have horrible beam patterns, step back from the P7 those imo. Always seemed weird that, I never saw a single XML with a beam I liked, they all went for laserbeam. Apparently there's fake Solarstorms out there, that's when you know you've arrived as a cheap chinese light maker, someone even cheaper copies you.

TBH I think the P7 lights got the beam down really well but just lacked the power, the Solarstorm's pretty unrefined but still bloomin effective.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • kinioo
    Ouija wrote:
    kinioo wrote:

Chris

Where I can get such a thing from ???
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    kinioo wrote:
    Ouija wrote:

Its just opaque sellotape / scotch tape
  • Northwind
    kinioo wrote:

You know that woman you're stalking? She's put loads of it on her windows, just peel some off. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Don't literally kill her with a stone.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • neilus
    neilus Posts: 245
    Woohoo got mine today! Pretty impressed with lightmalls.com - ordered 8/11, shipped 16/11, recieved 20/11. 1 x ss2 + battery, 1 x head unit only, $43 (about 27 quid). Cant wait to go and test them out!!
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    kinioo wrote:
    Ouija wrote:
    kinioo wrote:

Chris

B&Q, Wilko etc. It's just finely dimpled clear tape that comes in sheets for covering up windows.
  • kinioo
    Ouija wrote:
    kinioo wrote:
    Ouija wrote:
    kinioo wrote:

Chris

B&Q, Wilko etc. It's just finely dimpled clear tape that comes in sheets for covering up windows.

Cheers