Halfords Discount

rvicary
rvicary Posts: 28
edited November 2014 in MTB general
Ok, finally decided to plump for the Voodoo Bizango as next purchase so with some creative work I can get some decent discount - I think. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar experience and whether it would work.

It's currently £600 but with their offer of £60 off. Brings it to £540

Join British Cycling for £20 but then receive another 10% off which brings it to £506 (after adding back in cost of membership)

Then I can get 7.5% off through NHS discounts buying vouchers which brings it down to £468...

My question is, can I click and reserve for the price of 540 then produce the British Cycle in store to get the extra 10% off and pay with vouchers over the counter or am I being to optimistic! :D

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ask in store, I'm pretty certain you can't use either. My daughter couldn't get staff discount on click and collect.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • British Cycling discount will work with reserve online.
    Just give them your card before you pay.
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    I just got my son a new bike on the 10% discount weekend last week, reserved it online and then got the BC discount added on top when I went in. I printed off the terms and conditions from the BC website to take with me.
    As long as the price of the bike is the same online and in-store, and as long as the discount is in store and online you can add the BC discount on top.
    You should be fine
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Depends who you get in store and whether the discount is 'web only' or also available in store.

The T&Cs were changed about a year ago so say that you cant have BC discount on any web only prices or in combination with web only discount - only off the instore price. However, very few staff seem to apply this - but I did have one guy refuse in my local Halfords on the basis he cant have staff discount in conjunction with any other discount. So he didnt know the rules properly I think but wasnt prepared to play nicely...!
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    The Rookie wrote:
    Ask in store, I'm pretty certain you can't use either. My daughter couldn't get staff discount on click and collect.

That's changed now.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Don't forget Quidco
  • Just to let you know, it does look like it's possible!! Spoke to chap in shop and have reserved bike for pickup on Friday. So, with all discounts applied (even added the 3yr service plan) it came out a £481 instead of £640...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't waste your money on a service plan. Bikes need regular routine maintenance, not a scheduled service, and it's only labour - you pay full price for parts.

Easier to DIY as and when needed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Don't waste your money on a service plan. Bikes need regular routine maintenance, not a scheduled service, and it's only labour - you pay full price for parts.

Easier to DIY as and when needed.

Yeah, that's true but I'm really not a hands on person with regards to mechanical gear so i just thought for the sake of just over a 10er a year i get a full service...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pointless though, you will need to do everything in the service several times a year on a bike used for mountain biking, so you'll need to learn anyway and at the service only half the jobs will need doing (you'll have done the others recently) and any parts needed will be at 3 times what you could get it for elsewhere.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It is possible to do that. Check if they wilk d8 spend and save with you as well. Spending over 400 you should get 40 off in addition.
  • It is possible to do that. Check if they wilk d8 spend and save with you as well. Spending over 400 you should get 40 off in addition.

What is the wilk d8 spend and save?

Thanks
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I am guessing it was meant to be "will do spend and save" but there was a typo
  • Good guess
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    The Rookie wrote:
    and any parts needed will be at 3 times what you could get it for elsewhere.

Not necessarily. Halfords do a price match now. So as long as the OP does some research it could work out ok.

But if it was my money I wouldn't bother with a service plan. Halfords don't have the greatest mechanics. (Sweeping generalisation I know!)