Weight forward, middle or back for climbing?

mjw1234
mjw1234 Posts: 14
edited November 2014 in Road beginners
Hi,

As part of my communte i've a couple of hills to tackle, nothing too hard about 8-10% at their max.

This morning i tried something different while seated and put all my weight to the front of the bike while seated. I found it easier to climb. In the past i've put my weight back or stayed central.

Maybe i was just using slightly different muscles with the weight forward.

What is the concensus for best climbing position on saddle ?

Comments

• g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Move about so you get a change to use different muscle groups. But when it's really steep or loose, it can be more a matter of balancing weight to the back to stop the rear wheel skipping - and to the front to stop the front wheel lifting.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    g00se wrote:
    Move about so you get a change to use different muscle groups. But when it's really steep or loose, it can be more a matter of balancing weight to the back to stop the rear wheel skipping - and to the front to stop the front wheel lifting.

This is good advice, it is about finding the right balance for yourself without losing traction at the rear or the front wheel lifting. On some climbs standing can be helpful but usually only on shorter steep sections.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Depends on the gradient and grip on the road.

If it's really steep you need the weight forward to keep the wheel on the ground but then you risk wheel spin on the rear.
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    I have been pushing forward when climbing (and my climbing is probably molehills for most people) and find that it effects my quads the most.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    The bike computer in your head chooses automatically the most effective.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^This
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Just watch the pros and you will find the secret is...whatever works for the individual. Ignoring the various chemical aids, the best climbers in history all seem to use a different style, even the current crop such as Froome, Berty, Quintana...

Cougie's advice is good, as is all the stuff that says "it depends".
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It depends on road conditions and how much grip - simply ride lots of different hills in different conditions to find out what works for you. There's a north-facing 20%+ hill in these parts that is literally green with slime in winter and is a challenge to keep the wheels from gripping.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    There's a north-facing 20%+ hill in these parts that is literally green with slime in winter
    Do a lot of cyclists go up it, then?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?