What does Muc Off actually do?

13»

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Daz555 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Baby wipes just move the dirt from one place to another.
    As a father of two I beg to differ.

Mud and baby sh*t have different properties (also a father of two)...
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Imposter wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Whilst we're talking sh*t, what differing properties do mud and baby sh*t have that result in the former being 'moved from one place to another' by a baby wipe but the other to be cleaned off?
  • imposter2.0
    mfin wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Whilst we're talking sh*t, what differing properties do mud and baby sh*t have that result in the former being moved from one place to another by a baby wipe but the other to be cleaned off?

Let's not have this conversation. Simplest way is to try it yourself and see how you get on...
  • mfin
    Imposter wrote:
    Let's not have this conversation. Simplest way is to try it yourself and see how you get on...

Ok, I am not a father of two though, so I can't perform any relevant tests let alone conclusive ones. Hence it's easier for me to join in by talking sh*t (QED on that).
  • mfin
    Actually.... I was being a bit slow.

This is easy. Tomorrow I will cycle through some sh*t and I should see that baby wipes work wonderfully to clean it off the bike. Then I will try cycling through some mud and I should see that the baby wipes don't work to clean that off the bike (and a little ironically it is this second experiment that should be the time the bike ends up with a finish like the walls of a prison cell after a dirty protest).

Sorted.
  • Daz555 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Also a father of two but I would agree,

Place 1 = dirty bike or child
    Place 2 = dirty baby wipe

Ergo clean bike or child.

• I really like Green Oil products - been using them exclusively for chain lube, grease, degreaser and bike wash for the past 2-3 years. The degreaser doesn't compete with paraffin, but it's great for regular chain cleaning.

As long as you are happy to pay for someone to bottle a put a sticker on rapeseed oil... I would assume he applies the same metrics for the rest of the range, gets a generic anionic tensioactive and sticks it in a bottle with water and a label.
    The all market for this stuff is based on people rebranding existing products developed by Henkel and the likes with a huge markup.
    Let's put it this way: if you bought an expensive branded frame only to find out it's made in a generic mould in a factory in the far east, where they also make the same thing but sell it for 1/3rd of the price with no stickers on, you'd be gutted, wouldn't you?

Ops... :shock:

Ouch. ;)

But whilst I don't know what it is, I can't say I really care either - I originally bought it for the environmental factor and carried on buying it because it works well and costs in the region of other fairly regular chain lubes, and I can get it from places that sell bike stuff. And the degreaser/bike wash has a lovely orangey smell. :lol:
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    mfin wrote:
    Actually.... I was being a bit slow.

This is easy. Tomorrow I will cycle through some sh*t and I should see that baby wipes work wonderfully to clean it off the bike. Then I will try cycling through some mud and I should see that the baby wipes don't work to clean that off the bike (and a little ironically it is this second experiment that should be the time the bike ends up with a finish like the walls of a prison cell after a dirty protest).

Sorted.

I would be interested to know if baby wipes work with the sh1t as a base layer or if the mud is underneath, so could you repeated the process the other way around as well. It will help with route planning
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • I mentioned baby wipes to a few mates years ago. They are good but since then ive found these

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... =274348215

Ten times better than baby wipes, these will cut through even chain grease and any grease on your hands. The beauty is you dont even need to water down the bike first like you do with Muc Off, you can literally sit indoors with the tv on, bike propped up and a pack of these.

The best no hassle clean ive ever had on my bikes. Baby wipes are good, Muc Off is good but these bad boys are on another planet.
  • chris_bass
    I mentioned baby wipes to a few mates years ago. They are good but since then ive found these

Ten times better than baby wipes, these will cut through even chain grease and any grease on your hands. The beauty is you dont even need to water down the bike first like you do with Muc Off, you can literally sit indoors with the tv on, bike propped up and a pack of these.

The best no hassle clean ive ever had on my bikes. Baby wipes are good, Muc Off is good but these bad boys are on another planet.

They look good but about 6 times the price of the baby wipes I get
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I mentioned baby wipes to a few mates years ago. They are good but since then ive found these

If you want those then cheaper here: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/ ... =272045830 (2 for £2 giving 72 wipes for £1 less than the 72 pack)
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Imposter wrote:
    and other bike washing products?

Let's try and work it out. 'Muc Off' - is a contraction of 'muck off'. So, let's assume it cleans your bike. Much like a detergent - because it is a detergent. Might be worth googling 'detergent' for more info.

Heh heh. Made my day.
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829

Hi yes that's the exact one, it's the same company that make the APC, I use that APC for all kinds of stuff!!
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    dennisn wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    and other bike washing products?

Let's try and work it out. 'Muc Off' - is a contraction of 'muck off'. So, let's assume it cleans your bike. Much like a detergent - because it is a detergent. Might be worth googling 'detergent' for more info.

Heh heh. Made my day.
    Are you a sad bast**d too then? Seems like quite a popular thread.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • imposter2.0

Not sure what the problem is. You asked 'what does muc-off actually do?' To which the answer is patently obvious - it's a detergent and it cleans stuff that's dirty. If you genuinely didn't know that, then you need to repeat your quoted phrase above - preferably while looking in a mirror...
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Imposter wrote:

Not sure what the problem is. You asked 'what does muc-off actually do?' To which the answer is patently obvious - it's a detergent and it cleans stuff that's dirty. If you genuinely didn't know that, then you need to repeat your quoted phrase above - preferably while looking in a mirror...
    How would we all survive without people like you?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

How would we all survive without people like you?

You'd have to wear a helmet, obviously....
  • Chris Bass wrote:

Yes but your baby wipes are sh*te compared to these. For every 3 baby wipes you use, i use one of these.
  • I mean, how much do you spend for a shower gel or a shampoo? Be real FFS! :shock:

Molton Brown black pepper is my testicle wash of choice.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Molton-Brown-Pe ... ked+pepper
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • chris_bass
    Chris Bass wrote:

Yes but your baby wipes are sh*te compared to these. For every 3 baby wipes you use, i use one of these.

Have you been watching me again?!
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Have you been watching me again?!

I use these:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p19296?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=sZHY5t6r&pcrid=46335780383&gclid=CjwKEAiAj-KiBRC48YzhnLSg0D0SJACl
  • I`m with the fairy liquid brigade
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    Fairly liquid or whatever is getting used to do the dishes a sponge and some warm water.

dry it off, quick oil, shouldn't take more than 5 mins.

Served me well since a kid.

No need to overthink this sort of stuff.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    Someone from my club has an industrial cleaning business and cleans plane parts. Due to some contractual requirement he always ends up with surplus supplies which he would have to pay to dispose of so he gives it out to anyone wanting it. Works a treat on all sorts of things - I use it to clean the car and conservatory as well as my bike. Only problem is I haven't seen him for ages and I've run out!
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    As far as cleaning cars goes, I was warned against using washing up liquid because it dries out, and eventually perishes, the rubber seals around windows etc. I'm going back to the days before bonded windscreens but it certainly used to be a no-no for this reason and also not advisable to have in your windscreen washer reservoir. For the bike I use baby wipes as a quick and easy solution when it isn't too dirty, Muc_Off and occasionally washing up liquid for a deeper clean.
    Can't wait for the performance reports on cleaning a baby with Muc-Off to see if it really is comparable to baby wipes. My two are teenagers now so can't perform the test myself.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"