Adding Visibility to Existing Clothing?

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
edited November 2014 in Commuting general
I've got a good set of kit already such as quality pertex windshirt, top quality goretex shell, etc. This is all good for cycling in serious wet conditions, not that it keeps me dry but it keeps me wet and warm which is good enough.

The trouble is it is all black.I'm into my first autmn/winter season commuting and even I can figure out that black is not good for the dark nights. I'm wondering about adding a hi-viz vest of some kind over the top. I have the work vests with the reflective bands and made out of a very open weave fabric. Would wet out, flap a lot but not really affect breathability. I have seen somewhere a cycling specific vest in hi-viz, or at least it could be a runners vest. Anyone got a suggestion? I'm guessing it will affect breathability a little bit but I'm thinking a good pertex vest in hi-viz with reflectives would be good. Anyone else got any ideas?

BTW i have two lights front, two lights back and got those Pogu 3M reflective pressure stickers on my bike. You know those black ones (matches my bike so more discrete) but in light positively glows white. My pannier is an ortlieb with those refelctive patches front and rear. I have reflectors (original supply ones with the bike) white front, red rear and yellow ones front and back of the pedals. Also I have those big plastic orange wheel reflectors the bike came with. No spoke reflectors, the ones which go around the spokes.

Would a more hi-viz jacket/over vest actually add much more? I'm just seeing a lot of cyclists with hi-viz plus reflectives in yellow and orange jackets riding the same roads and getting the idea I need to be that obvious too.

Comments

• you are probably stirring up a hornets nest but I would agree that anything that makes you easily identifiable (at a glance) as a cyclist is worth doing. Anything lighter/brighter is better (imho)
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    You can get iron-on reflectives. One example here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IRON-ON-REFLE ... 2ecc36e574
  • Iron on reflectives? Nice idea but I'm not looking to ruin my nice expensive goretex jacket. I got it for other activities but its design suits cycling too. It looks normal as in something I would wear off the bike and that is how I would like it to stay. That is why I wondered about something over the top like a vest that, hopefully, wouldn't affect breathability. Think I have some googling to do to find something.

Surrey Commuter - hornets nest? Why? It's only reflectives / hi-viz I'm asking about not helmet use!!!! ;)
  • one thing leads to another - anyway as you cruise through the red lights it is best to be hard for the rozzers to see
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Well if you've already got plenty of lights on the bikes reflectives aren't going to achieve much. The lights would make you visible well before you're lit up enough for reflectives to work.

I put some reflective iron-ons on my bag straps and a jacket and they're fine.

Try one of these if you're concerned about visibility, really happy with mine in terms of being visible from the front/diagonal to any cars that might be pulling out:

http://www.merlincycles.com/topeak-head ... 54827.html
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I bought a Sam Browne to go over dark kit.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    I'm gonna get me a hi-viz gilet and another reflective leg band, forgot that I've got 2 legs!
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I cycle on dark country lanes, as well as lights I use a Hi-Vis cotton gilet over whatever else I am wearing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I think hi-vis stuff is only really good if it is going dark rather than actually being dark, if you have good lights and reflectors you'll be as visible as you can be in the dark.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If its dark then Fluo v Black doesnt make much difference. Its all about lights and reflectives.

The mesh vest with reflectives over the top should help a bit - or maybe reflective halo round helmet ?

From the sounds of it though - you seem well covered !
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I think hi-vis stuff is only really good if it is going dark rather than actually being dark, if you have good lights and reflectors you'll be as visible as you can be in the dark.
    Proper Hi-Vis is reflective, making it very visible to cars, so I'd not agree with that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Asaklitt-L ... nd/31-5068

These on the arms are a useful addition.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • As a newbie to cycling after many years I am still in the phase of viewing cycling through the eyes of a driver. As a driver is drives me crazy to see bike riders in dark clothing. I see riders at dusk riding in black and you are almost on top of them before you see them. Wearing dark colours in bright sunlight can also be a problem. Particularly when a driver is driving though shade.

So with that in mind, I have probably gone overboard when it comes to high viz. I look like a Roman candle! But, if I am ever in an accident, the driver will NEVER be able to tell the court he/she didn't see me. Doesn't have to be the trad green/pink/orange, but anything that enables a driver to realise there is something in front or behind them has gotta be good. BTW. aldi's cycling range is incredible quality and SO cheap ( they are running a cycling promotion at the moment )
  • Missybiker wrote:
    As a newbie to cycling after many years I am still in the phase of viewing cycling through the eyes of a driver. As a driver is drives me crazy to see bike riders in dark clothing. I see riders at dusk riding in black and you are almost on top of them before you see them. Wearing dark colours in bright sunlight can also be a problem. Particularly when a driver is driving though shade.

So with that in mind, I have probably gone overboard when it comes to high viz. I look like a Roman candle! But, if I am ever in an accident, the driver will NEVER be able to tell the court he/she didn't see me. Doesn't have to be the trad green/pink/orange, but anything that enables a driver to realise there is something in front or behind them has gotta be good. BTW. aldi's cycling range is incredible quality and SO cheap ( they are running a cycling promotion at the moment )

There is zero evidence to support the claim that high-viz helps to reduce accidents for cyclists - in this study the opposite is true (only slightly :) ) http://eprints.nottingham.ac.uk/12855/

If you cant see cyclists without high viz you're going too fast, full stop (like 90% of drivers on our roads). It's an excuse used for many years to justify the 'sorry mate, didnt see you' excuse - now superceded by the low sun in eyes excuse - regardless of the fact that it's very clear in the highway code that you must slow down and even stop if you cant see whats in front of you.

Please wear high viz if it makes you feel better but understand how drivers and lawyers will say anything to shift blame on to the cyclist...and if you're wearing high viz they'll find a different excuse.

And also - you're more likely to be seen wearing dark clothing against a bright background then you are wearing bright clothing against a bright background - you're camoflaged in this parrticular case.

It definately has it's uses in certain situations and I often wear clothes with reflective bits at night, but I dont personally go for the fluro thing, but iI dont care what other people wear.

Road positioning and defensive riding works for me (plus good lights!!!)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    On my sunday country rides I definitely see riders in black the least well. They just don't stand out. Almost as bad is navy blue. Reds and yellows do stand out.

I don't need studies to prove this to me. I rode past my cycling buddy one day - he rides to meet me and he turns round. He was head to toe in black in shade and although I was looking for him as ever - I didn't spot him. So if i was a dozy driver...

He rides with a flashy light on now and not so much black.
  • Hi coughie,

You are absolutely right, sometimes it is almost impossible to see riders dressed in black until you are on top of them. My comment about high vis is a personal one. I want a distracted driver to see me, and will make it as easy as I can, although I agree that you don't have to wear high viz just anything that will contrast. Being all in black and looking trendy would be ok, if they used lights but I see too many without lights. (As a new rider, I am consumed by observing how others ride, whether they do it well ( so I can learn) when they cock up ( so I can learn) and also by which riders I see and which I dont). I think being a newbie after so long has made me more courteous a driver (not sure I was ever an a***e) and hopefully a better (albeit unfit) rider.
  • I ride with lights on pretyty much all the time, even in the summer (have a very bright front light which may or may not help)

There was a twitter conversation on the effectiveness of high viz this morning (https://twitter.com/beztweets/status/526674730901065728). A cycle blogger asked anyone if they had ever heard of a study that proved the effectiveness of high viz in reducing accidents as he'd never seen one in many years of studying this sort of thing. No one had (obviously you can't draw any conclusions from that) but someone posted a link to this blog on motorcycles and high viz - very very interesting reading and something with reasonates with me as I've see the same thing: https://roadarbloggers.wordpress.com/20 ... uity-aids/

Basically high viz is good at being seen from a distance...but not good at all when the car is on top of you. It totally relies on the driver seeing you from a distance and REMEMBERING you're there when they're on you. Basically before and after a 1980 report that first suggested high viz as an aid to motorcyclists and their widespread adoption there has been no drop in accidents as expected.

Please read the article and make up your own mind. As I say I've got no problem with people wearing high viz at all, but it's good to understand how it may or may not help and be aware of the problems with and without wearing it.
  • ps. There are situations where I'm sure high viz would help - dark country lanes for example where cars are coming from behind you at speed, so not saying they are not appropriate to your situation!! ;) (I mostly cycle in the city to be honest)
  • ps. There are situations where I'm sure high viz would help - dark country lanes for example where cars are coming from behind you at speed, so not saying they are not appropriate to your situation!! ;) (I mostly cycle in the city to be honest)

in that case, big lights help more. if the light is powerful enough and the foliage not too dense you can be seen around the bend.

my folks place out in the sticks the lanes are far easier to ride/drive at night since you can see other traffic coming sooner, admittedly its very low any how.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    on my way home yesterday I accidentally turned my spare light on (or it came on on my way home anyway) it was in the front pocket of my hi-vis bag and the whole bag was glowing! I'm tempted to do it from now on!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Gasman
    Gasman Posts: 530
    Any number of reflective bits and bobs are available; Sam Browne belt, anklets, wristlets. I once had a couple of reflective armbands with inbuilt flashing LEDs. I joined them together and wore them as a headband. Last year I found some nifty things at Aldi/Lidl; short pieces of reflective tube which clip to your spokes. I reckon these are best in an assymmetric pattern as motion is more noticeable and irregular motion even more so.
    I'm gonna live for ever. . .or die trying!!
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Proper Hi-Vis is reflective, making it very visible to cars, so I'd not agree with that.

I did the HGV training that the police put on from time to time, (where you sit in the cab of a lorry and see some cyclists from the driver's point of view) and the policeman who was doing the training told me that its not about the reflectiveness at night where most of the problems are, it is during the dark, dull daylight hours where lights and reflectors dont stand out as well. I agree with him. Hi-vis clothing works so much better in this instance.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    LED arm bands are good - £3.99 for a pack of 4 or something like that - the cells last for ages and they are surprisingly bright. I tend to go one on the arm and one on the leg