No claims discount

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,076
edited November 2014 in The cake stop
My dad passed away recently and amongst all the other trials of admin and form filling is sorting out the car insurance for mum. I rang to cancel with Hastings Direct and asked for the no claims evidence to be sent. Mum was always a named driver on his policy. Aside from Hastings Direct being absolutely awful in getting it sorted, they've only given me a letter stating that there have been no claims since January when the latest policy began. On the phone they confirmed that dad (and therefore mum) had 9 years no claims. I have to give them a call tomorrow and I'm sure getting this in writing is going to be impossible as the policy was not in her name.

My main gripe is that I'm certain they'll have a database showing that mum has never made an insurance claim since she began driving in the 1960's but obviously that doesn't earn them any extra money. If I failed to notify them of a claim in the last few years I'm sure that having run it through their systems they'd soon write and ask me to explain why I didn't declare the claim so surely the same place that data came from could be used to show she had no claims?

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Was it a joint policy. or was she a named driver on your fathers policy.

Me and the Mrs went from having two cars to just one and every two years we alternate who insures the car as if you don't have insurance in your name for a period of more than 2 years you loose your N.C.B

This applies to us as I name her as a driver on my policy, or when she insures she names me as a driver on hers.

Don't know why we do it this way rather than a joint policy, but I think Insurance companies stopped that as Parents were building their kids no claims on their policies.

I m sure someone will be along to tell us what the proper way for both parties to earn no claims at the same time is? we just alternate the policy holder every two years as we both have max N.C.D.
  • heavymental
    Damn. If that's the case I think it was dad's policy so no doubt going to run into problems now. How annoying. I guess Lloyds will charge us for the changes to the policy as well as the additional cost of starting from fresh with the no claims.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Not saying I m right on this. Just the way it works for us. As we both have full no claims we haven't been bothered about building NCD since we went to one policy with either party as a named driver.

I know you loose your NCD after 2 years if you haven't had insurance in your Name! just not sure if being named on someone else's policy counts as the same thing. I suspect not as we would have just done this rather than change the main policy holder every 2 years.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    You don't build up no claims for being a named driver but they do legally have to give your mom a letter confirming that she has made no claims on the policy and other insurance companies will give your mom full discount based on that fact, similar to that of a company car policy.
    All it takes is to see a broker for a policy and explain that your mom was a. Ames driver only because your dad sorted out the policy and they both shared the car.

Anyway, hope you sort IT a d sorry about the loss.
    Living MY dream.
  • heavymental
    Thanks. Will bear that in mind when I speak to all parties tomorrow.
  • heavymental
    For info, no claims were easily transferred to my mum. Apparently it's now a simple process to transfer NCD between spouses.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    For info, no claims were easily transferred to my mum. Apparently it's now a simple process to transfer NCD between spouses.

Sorry for your loss,

Yes that is a more recent change in car insurance , as is accepting no claims from named drivers as it means they can make more money insuring low risk drivers. Does vary from insurer to insurer.
  • I was told by one company that if you own two (or more) cars you can only have a NCD on one of them. Surely if you haven't claimed you are a safe driver in both cars.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,329
    I was told by one company that if you own two (or more) cars you can only have a NCD on one of them. Surely if you haven't claimed you are a safe driver in both cars.

Not sure that is true. I have a van on one policy which has an NCD for commercial insurance and the NCD dates back to 2005. Not that it's the same van, may I add. So my car insurance is separate policy with my own NCD for car insurance.
    I presume then that the way around this is to have insurance policies with two different companies. I have found that (by using price comparison websites) it is not always cheaper to combine the policies but it is cheaper when you have use of another vehicle.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!