Lightweight Waterproof

mtbjunkie08
mtbjunkie08 Posts: 192
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I've searched the forum and internet but havent quite found what im after. I want a fully waterproof but relatively lightweight and packable jacket which has armpit vents. It must have the armpit vents for ventilation and some kind of chest pocket would also be good.

My budget is £70 max. I would appreciate your suggestions.

tia,

Andy

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    A tenner over budget, but have a look at the Altura Mayhem.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Thanks, I did look at this one, but read some rather discouraging reviews of it here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... mpish-poor
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Old army goretex (cheap as chips) but I doubt it will have armpit vents.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Glad I didn't buy one myself then! Race Face Chute looks good too, but again slightly over budget.

I recently went for a Dakine Calibre, which I really like. Been commuting in it daily and no complaints. It's around £90 if you shop around.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I went for the endura mtr emergency shell, I got it for £70, no vents but super lightweight. Can't believe how warm it is for such a flimsy thing though!
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I got my Berghaus waterproof for under £70 from TK Maxx; they have a good selection, if a little sporadically but if there's a branch close enough it can be worth a fortnightly trawl. I don't remember the model name but very light (<300g) and with pit-zips.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Thanks I'll try and get to my local one.
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    you may be already, but have a look outside of the bike specific brands of gore, altura, endura etc. you'll get a wider choice and often better value for money and some bargains to be had if you shop around

montane do some very nice lightweight easily packable jackets
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    kinioo wrote:
    Old army goretex (cheap as chips) but I doubt it will have armpit vents.

Not exactly lightweight, definitely not packabke (they're huge) and far too warm to do anything strenuous in.
  • So far the only one I've found that has all my requirements for the price is this: http://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountai ... lsrc=aw.ds

Has anyone got one of these or a similar jacket?
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    The problems with non-cycling specific jackets are that:

1. They tend to be too hot - walking is a lot less strenuous than cycling.

2. The cut is wrong for cycling - it will either be too short at the back, or too long at the front.

I'd say you're better off going for an ultra-simple shell - I love my Montane Singletrack - no vents but it's so thin and lightweight that it doesn't get too hot in most conditions.
  • jimothy78 wrote:
    The problems with non-cycling specific jackets are that:

1. They tend to be too hot - walking is a lot less strenuous than cycling.

2. The cut is wrong for cycling - it will either be too short at the back, or too long at the front.

1. walking jackets come in wide variety of thicknesses or weights, from heavy weight jackets for moutaineering which you would boil to detah in on a bike, to lightweight packable jackets which would be fine and are the same materials used on many cycling jackets (light weight event or gore-tex for example), to ultra lightweight shells of pertex or similar fabircs which are great as a thin layer over your normal riding kit.

2. unless it's a climbing specific cut ie high waist / short cut as to not get in the way of a harness, your normally fine with a non cycling specific cut jacket. you get covered in crap out on your mountain bike having a drop tail on a jacket makes little difference to how dry you stay. it is worth checkig sleeves are long engough though, nothing worse than rain shedding directly into your gloves

i think you pay a premium for cycling specific jackets and get better value & choice if you look at general outdoor jackets
  • Well the Vaude seems to get good reviews and it seems to have been made for mountain biking:

http://www.mtbgearreview.com/2014/vaude ... et-review/
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Contrary to the above I love my mayhem. It's not too lightweight though.
  • Well, I still havent made a decision on which jacket to get, im very indecisive. :p
    I went and tried some Altura jackets on in Halfords and the Large felt tight under the arms when I lifted them, and the XL felt too baggy on me (I'm 6ft1" and 14stone, approx 42" chest). I have tried some Madison jackets on, and the large in those felt about right. I'm thinking perhaps trying to find a 3-season jacket might not be the best approach and so now looking at the Madison Flux Softshell which has lots of ventilation (although only water-resistant) but will probably be more breathable than a hard-shell. And then maybe get an emergency full waterproof shell like the Endura xtract or emergency shell to take with me in my pack/pocket for heavier downpours.

Does this sound like a good idea?