Colchester Velodrome

Paul 8v
Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
edited January 2016 in Track
Has anyone else heard any more on this? I must say I'm kind of hoping it gets built as it's 25 mins from my house but I haven't heard anything since the Summer.
http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/1130 ... ?ref=var_0

Comments

• I live in colchester so this would be perfect, never cycled in a track before...

I have heard some gossip recently, apparently british cycling have offered half the money and it's up to the council to firstly agree to go ahead, and then to find the rest of the money.

Can't see anything going ahead until the new northern approach road and park and ride are built/finished though.
  • Paul 8v
    If it's anything to do with Essex County council we're doomed. They don't give a monkeys about cycling :-( Maybe we should start a petition. I bet with all the local clubs we could get plenty of signatures.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Look forward to seeing how this develops. I assume it will be an outdoor track though? Think if we aren't careful, we could easily reach saturation of indoor velodromes in the UK.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Paul 8v
    I can't find any details but I would assume it would be outside combined with some other sports facilities. I'm a bit worried if Essex CC are in charge of getting this (Rather generous) offer from British cycling sorted it just won't happen.

Because of this I've sent an email to the regional guy from British cycling to try and find some info and see if I can find out who we can petition.

I don't think we would reach saturation with indoor velodromes to be fair, there are only 3(?) In England. Look at how many football pitches, swimming pools etc there are! If we want our cycling to carry on being world class we need more facilities.

There did used to be a velodrome in Harlow which isn't too far away, as far as I know the land was sold to a developer and the money was supposed to be used for a replacement, it then mysteriously disappeared aledgedy...

Remember also there is a mountain bike track proposed, we need all the help we can get in XC mountain biking!
  • Paul 8v
    PS, I see where you live, you're rather spoilt for a Velodrome! The track taster sessions at Lee valley are booked every weekend until about March, I'm sure the Colchester one could see some good use what with all the local clubs about.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    I doubt we'd get another indoor track sanctioned that close to the London Velodrome although live in eternal hope as it would be fab for me too!

There is also the Cambridge/Trumpington proposal for an outdoor velodrome, race circuit and BMX track that is supposedly being worked on but I haven't seen any updates since attending a meeting much earlier this year.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Look at how many football pitches, swimming pools etc there are! If we want our cycling to carry on being world class we need more facilities.

Agreed, cos we are world class when it comes to both both football and swimming. Oh wait.....

Seriously though, I suspect it's all about catchment. Colchester may be seen as too close to London. Could do with one down on the south coast or down in the south west somewhere. Especially as I think Mountbatten is still closed for the forseeable?
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Looks like there's another one being built too - http://road.cc/content/news/134670-hope ... rnoldswick
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Paul 8v
    That's great that they will be able to build that and even better that they can do it without getting in to debt.
  • Just came across an update on this, it looks like cycling plans for Colchester are still progressing...

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/cycle_track_plans_unveiled_as_colchester_could_become_regional_hub_for_the_sport_1_4299450
  • Paul 8v
    That would be awesome. Let's hope David Lloyd don't own the velodrome too as it will be too expensive!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Interesting, Derby City Council are looking at new ownership models for theirs as they can't afford the continued subsidy the building requires.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Paul 8v
    The Colchester one wil be outside so would presumably be much cheaper to run. No heating etc
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Makes sense. I assume that's the new Colchester Utd stadium in that link - had quite a few enjoyable matches at Layer Rd when I was a student in Colchester - thought it was a really nice town.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Paul 8v
    Yeah, that is Col U. I really like Colchester, I'm kind of between Colchester and Chelmsford geographically but Colchester has much more character