Energy bars...

MonkeyMonster
MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
edited November 2014 in Commuting chat
So I've got a split commute - 45-50 minutes in between 5 miles and 7.5

I generally eat breakfast on the train after the first load but chomp on an energy bar after the 2nd. Want a bit of variation - what make/flavour of bars do people here eat if they have a favourite otherwise is it a - whatever's on sale...

Currently have the hi5 orange and ginger crc exlusives which are quite nice actually but coming to end of box.

btw this is based on the idea that eating up to 30 mins after exercise is the best recovery thing to do and it's easy to have a stash of these bad boys.
Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    You aren't really doing enough to warrant eating energy bars
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • have a glass of milk
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    You don't need bars. I prefer Mule Apple Strudel, but will only take them on rides of 40 miles or longer...
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    thats similar to my commute, although my train bit is 20-25 mins.

I work on weetabix or museli before I set off and a shower and a cup of coffee when I get in. :D

never felttempted to have an energy bar when I gte to work, occasionally I might have a banana
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    I love Jordan's Frusli bars, especially the blueberry ones. But I find it impossible to eat just one (they come in packs of 6...)
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • You have far too much money if you're going down this route, just eat something normal (though obviously not a pie, McFlurry or KFC)
    You don't need bars. I prefer Mule Apple Strudel, but will only take them on rides of 40 miles or longer...

I got two of these in a multi pack, a real let down. Pina Colada, absolute revolation, I now have a new favourite. Else, most clif's are ok.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • Mike_L
    Mike_L Posts: 28
    I agree that these are not essential - but I sometimes use them if I don't have time for breakfast.
    I've found making my own is best way & you can adapt the recipe to include your favourite fruit or nuts

http://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/videos/sec-how-to/how-to-make-energy-bars-gcns-food-for-cycling/
    is a good starting point.

Mike
  • t4tomo wrote:
    thats similar to my commute, although my train bit is 20-25 mins.

I work on weetabix or museli before I set off and a shower and a cup of coffee when I get in. :D

never felttempted to have an energy bar when I gte to work, occasionally I might have a banana

Large bowl of cereal, 20 miles in, then a shower and double espresso... tub of pasta for lunch

Bizarrely when I get home I have the munchies and just eat straight from the fridge
  • Interesting replies and thanks for the cross spectrum. So seems to be that few of you bother with the idea of energy replacement after cycling idea - which seems to be the current trend medically. You use caffeine instead - which for me isn't an option but also it's not going to replace the glycogen used up.

Each energy bar is a c. 250 calories which is a good amount to replace what I have just spent so losing weight with my *normal* diet and making sure I always have useable energy for the commute is what I was aiming for. Energy bars/power bars/breakfast bars/etc. perhaps my use of "energy" was inaccurate in that aspect - more just what is good for the job, easy to carry and organise etc.

Am v amused by the idea of too much money from some of you... jeez guys. But also my train fares are paid for so if I spend my money on my commute I can make it more comfortable and happier.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    2 rounds of toast sets me up for 20 miles in, followed by a bowl of porridge when I get in.
  • gbsahne wrote:
    2 rounds of toast sets me up for 20 miles in, followed by a bowl of porridge when I get in.

so given its a broken 12 miles, I have the breakfast on the train and then (the bar) for when I get into the office. So similar point. It's not about energy *for* the ride it's about enabling my body to recover the glycogen levels as efficiently as possible for the next entire journey later in the day/next morning.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Interesting replies and thanks for the cross spectrum. So seems to be that few of you bother with the idea of energy replacement after cycling idea - which seems to be the current trend medically. You use caffeine instead - which for me isn't an option but also it's not going to replace the glycogen used up.

Each energy bar is a c. 250 calories which is a good amount to replace what I have just spent so losing weight with my *normal* diet and making sure I always have useable energy for the commute is what I was aiming for. Energy bars/power bars/breakfast bars/etc. perhaps my use of "energy" was inaccurate in that aspect - more just what is good for the job, easy to carry and organise etc.

Am v amused by the idea of too much money from some of you... jeez guys. But also my train fares are paid for so if I spend my money on my commute I can make it more comfortable and happier.

I'd go for energy bars if I needed to eat while cycling but for bike-train-bike I'd probably just take a banana to snack on for the train. I have cereal at about 10.30 after porridge at about 7.30. I'm all for replacing energy after the exercise, but my day is mostly spent sitting down so there's plenty of time for 2nd breakfast, lunch 1, lunch 2 and another snack to do that before I head home. It's not like weights at the gym where I'd eat soon after, I'm quite happy to get the food in over the next 8 hours.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In that distance you are only using circa 300 calories, it's really not going to have a big effect, slightly bigger breakfast or muesli bar when I get in, too much and you'll be adding more than you are using and get fat!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    gbsahne wrote:

so given its a broken 12 miles, I have the breakfast on the train and then (the bar) for when I get into the office. So similar point. It's not about energy *for* the ride it's about enabling my body to recover the glycogen levels as efficiently as possible for the next entire journey later in the day/next morning.

I'm just not convinced that a broken 12 miles is enough to warrant any concern re Glycogen levels. Just eat a normal breakfast. When I do pre-commute laps of RP I often do it pre-brekkie and then just eat normally at work, certainly never eat an energy bar .
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I usually eat breakfast at work, so my 12 mile commute is done with no brekkie, nor snacks/energy bars....
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I do occasionally use energy bars on big MTB rides, but I don't think my short commute is long enough to warranty anything other than normal breakfast like fruit, cereal or toast, although now it's getting cold I do like a bacon roll once I get to work. I think of it as my version of Donkey & Carrot to motivate me to take the bike :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8