LBS , Halfords , etc poll.

talisman50082
talisman50082 Posts: 6
edited January 2015 in The hub
Im thinking of buying a bike from Halfords. Why cant we start a list of " The Good The Bad and the Ugly"? Eg Has anyone got feedback regarding bike assembly at Halfords Trowbridge ? This could be applied to any LBS good or bad. :wink:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Pointless.

Halfords do not assemble bikes.

No bike shop does unless you order a custom build.

As to prepping the bike before customer collection that can come down to the person doing rather than the place.

But it is still up to you to check everything before each ride.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Pointless? Halfords assemble bikes if required ,its a free service? Now they can do the job well or badly ,its called customer service. Or perhaps you have never heard of the concept lol. I read more bad reports about there bike assembly abilities , than good. Simply put if Trowbridge depot have a bad assembly record it would be nice to know.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Assembly assumes builing up from parts.
    The factory assembles the bike. Halfords do a PDI. This will probably include straightening the bars and fitting the pedals.
    The PDI should make sure everything is adjusted correctly. That's about it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Halfords call it " a free instore build and inspection". Never mind,the kettles boiling lol.
  • Ask for it in a box and "build" it yourself.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Halfords call it " a free instore build and inspection". Never mind,the kettles boiling lol.
    Cody?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Has anyone got feedback regarding bike assembly at Halfords Trowbridge ? This could be applied to any LBS good or bad. :wink:

I got my Boardman from Trowbridge Halfords. Good service and a couple good mechanics in their workshop. No idea why they stay there but they are good. Better than the crap independent shop in Trowvegas.
  • Halfords
  • Wtf is this auto hyper linking business....
  • I think Halfords can be hit and miss.

The person who assembled my bike needed sacking. The reflectors and bell were left unattached, the saddle was loose and wobbling all over the place, and the handlebars weren't even aligned with the front wheel. I also popped in whilst out riding and asked for them to re-secure the saddle (twice) and it still became loose within a matter of days.

On the other hand, I've received good advice from knowledgeable people there and who genuinely seem like they care.

From my experience, it's just pot luck!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    JoeNTMY wrote:
    I think Halfords can be hit and miss.

The person who assembled my bike needed sacking. The reflectors and bell were left unattached, the saddle was loose and wobbling all over the place, and the handlebars weren't even aligned with the front wheel. I also popped in whilst out riding and asked for them to re-secure the saddle (twice) and it still became loose within a matter of days.

On the other hand, I've received good advice from knowledgeable people there and who genuinely seem like they care.

From my experience, it's just pot luck!
    Sounds more like you have a bad saddle or post, can't imagine someone getting it so wrong tightening a bolt that it comes loose three times.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    They prepped my son's BMX - no complaints.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: