New Bike Kinesis Aithein

PDSW
PDSW Posts: 14
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi to everyone -I am looking for some advice on a new bike purchase.I have been riding a medium Wilier Izoard for a couple of years and am looking to get a new bike. I am a keen enthusiast who rides two/three times a week and a couple of sportives a year.
I decided I wanted something a bit different and saw the Aithein advertised and just really liked the look of it.I went to the nearest dealer who has been able to show me a demonstration frame which is great but not a full build (although he does have a Kinesis 4S on display which is a nice bike).
I have a quote of £1600 for an Aithein build with Campag Veloce groupset ,Scirocco wheels ,Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres and Deda seat post,bars and stem.I have specified Campag Veloce as I am used to this and like it and wanted the rest of the bike to be Italian.I am just about to pull the trigger but have got cold feet because a)I am not sure if £1600 is good value for this build and b)I have never bought a bike before without at least being able to sit on it-I think I have the sizing right as I have compared stack/reach to my Wilier and I have seen the geometry.I am reasonably confident I can get it to fit (although not an expert).
I have seen some of the previous posts on the Aithein which have good reports-can anyone offer any advice on the proposed build/value and any thoughts on my sizing doubts.

Comments

• dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I'm looking at buying the Aithein frameset next year, have read and heard nothing but good things.

As for the build, personally doesn't seem that good value. Having been looking at the frameset myself I know they it be had for about £5-600 - a quick google and Veloce can be had for £3-350 and the wheels for about £190. So your paying £500+ for the finishing kit and labour.

Personally, you'd be better buying yourself a tool kit and building the bike yourself. This way, you'd learn (if you don't know already) a bit of maintenance and could get LBS to give it a check-up to give piece of mind and have some £'s left over.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    I'm in the process of getting myself an Aithein at the moment.

£450 frameset
    £250 105 Groupset (Might do Force 22 instead)
    Have carbon PRO finishing kit
    Going to put some Fulcrum Zero's on - £550
    Will use some RS81's for most of the riding though, which I already have.

I reckon you can get a pretty mean bike for around £1000-£1500 with this thing. Looking forward to getting it built up!! :)
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Sounds expensive to me. That frame can be had for c£500. You can get Shimano 105 5800 for £300. I have campag too but to be honest 5800 is way better than Veloce now. Thats the bones of your build for £800. Campag Zondas for £250 ish and then you have £200 for finishing bits. Thats a fair bit under the £1600. Cant help on the sizing but I don't think the Aithien will be too different geometry wise. Maybe a little lower on the front. A few people on here have the Aitein. Check out the Your Road Bikes forum
  • PDSW
    Thanks for the replies-gut feel was it was a little expensive so I think I'll try and get the price reduced or the spec up (upgrade the wheels to Zondas).Cheers
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Veloce should be under £400. Remember however shops cannot sell 105 5800 for £300 and make a profit. I think the best groupset deal from madison is more like £250 trade which means if your LBS is VAT registered that's no profit for them.

If you build your self then these prices quoted are fine but you have to build your self or pay a shop 1-2 labour to put it together. I bet the shop is charging something closer to RRP on the parts (but probably no labour) but on the flip side you get some backup which you won't get if you buy all the bits online, well there is backup but you have to sort it out yourself.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Calpol wrote:
    You can get Shimano 105 5800 for £300.

Completely irrelevant as the OP wants Veloce....
  • jscl
    Veloce should be under £400. Remember however shops cannot sell 105 5800 for £300 and make a profit. I think the best groupset deal from madison is more like £250 trade which means if your LBS is VAT registered that's no profit for them.

If you build your self then these prices quoted are fine but you have to build your self or pay a shop 1-2 labour to put it together. I bet the shop is charging something closer to RRP on the parts (but probably no labour) but on the flip side you get some backup which you won't get if you buy all the bits online, well there is backup but you have to sort it out yourself.
    Madison has a price guarantee though so they will help a LBS to price match the cheap OEM stuff being knocked out by the big guys whilst still making a profit.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • cycleclinic
    Yes the guarantee means they will sell it at rate that means you can price match this does not mean you can make a profit, they are not stupid you know. By profit I mean something sensible that keeps the lights on, making £15 on a groupset is better than a kick in the teeth but if you did that all day long (i.e £15 on £300) the shutters go down and stay down quite quickly. Besides all good distributors do the same if you talk to the rep.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Maybe a daft point, but not much of an upgrade from the Wilier...
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • PDSW
    Yeah fair enough but not really intended as an upgrade just a different ride.I read a review that described the Aithein as a hot hatch so seemed like fun.I reckon it would be good alongside the Izoard and my Bianchi mtb.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    £500 for a Taiwanese-built alloy frame is taking the pi$$ - they leave the factory for $100. I buy custom titanium frames for less money.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cycleclinic
    The price is set by what people are willing to pay. Also the frame probably cost a bit more than $100 but probablt a fair bit less than $200.
  • jscl
    Monty Dog wrote:
    £500 for a Taiwanese-built alloy frame is taking the pi$$ - they leave the factory for $100. I buy custom titanium frames for less money.
    It's a bit like paying £1000 for an open mold carbon frame which probably costs $250 to produce.

Welcome to the world of business. There's marketing expense, UK-based staff to pay and more. If you don't agree with it, then don't buy one.

I bought my Kinesis because it's a nice British brand with a quality product. What more can I ask for?
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Animal72 wrote:
    Maybe a daft point, but not much of an upgrade from the Wilier...

Is a £2500 Specialized S-works frame much of an upgrade?? If yes,then so is a Kinesis Aithein.
  • PDSW
    Thanks for all the replies.Took the plunge.........Kinesis Aithein in black,Campag Veloce,Zonda wheelset and Deda finishing kit.Can't wait-I'll post some pics when she arrives-if I can work out how to do it!
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Well done, look forward to seeing some pictures.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    dwanes wrote:
    Well done, look forward to seeing some pictures.
    Likewise. But black? Really? The green and Orange are so much more what this bike is about in my book. Hot Hatch I think you said :). Will be interested in how it rides as I have an Izoard as my main summer ride.