SDW first time with Garmin 500

remedy_7
remedy_7 Posts: 179
edited November 2016 in Routes
Hello All,

Hopefully this weekend I will cycle the South Downs Way. I did it last month, with panniers and tent. Heavy and slow.
This time it will be bikepacking style. Bivi bag and 'cold' sleeping bag. My new Rab Neutrino 200xl in November :shock:

I was thinking about getting a Garmin etrex 20 or 30 as trying to set up my Garmin 500 has been a headache. Not sure if spending more money would solve the headache though.

I watched a Youtube video by VeloGPS. I didn't know my 500 could do this. Only had it 2 years. Worth watching to the end as it shows going off route. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 7519,d.ZGU

I then Googled for the SDW gps route. 1st was gpx-routes.co.uk. I saved the gpx file but when I tried to open it, my computer did not recognise it.
2nd was SouthDownsWayDouble.net. I saved the gpx file and it shows on my computer as sdw.gpx.xml
This was then loaded onto my Garmin 500. It seems to work, whilst sitting at home. Did notice on the screen map that in one section the trail splits in two. Not sure what that is about?

Some questions -
- Lots of forums say that the Garmin 500 doesn't work with gpx. Is this because it needs to be changed to gpx.xml?
- The gpx.xml file is from 2008. The trail has changed a bit since then. Anyone know if this will be an issue?
- There is another file which shows the water taps. I suppose I can't use this on the 500 as it will have to run as a different course to ride. Is this correct? Will an etrex allow multiple files to be run at the same time? One for the route and another for water taps?
- How do I know if this route is good? Is it just a matter of trusting the person who is offering it? There is no way of testing it until I actually start. If it is no good, then it is too late.
- If I am asking these sort of questions, would I be wasting my time doing the Tour Divide? :lol:
- I need to find a way to charge this while it is in use on the bike, without a dynamo. Can I do this with one of those remote battery packs that people charge their phones with?

If it's raining, forget the above.

Cheers for any replies.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Some answers:

- it should take GPX just fine, just can't do turn by turn directions
    - it will if you're going to slavishly look at, you'll go wrong
    - no device can run two in parallel. Best bet is to save the co-ordinates of the taps as waypoints. A 500 should be able to do this. Write the distances on a piece of masking tape on your stem too - fail safe
    - You don't, so yes, you're just trusting a randomer
    - No, everyone's got to start somewhere!
    - The 500 won't accept an external battery pack without reverting to 'PC' mode, you can get a USB cable with something in it to trick the GPS into thinking it's running of its own battery, then yes, you can use any piggy back battery, or an Exposure light with Smart Port and their cable
  • remedy_7
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have tried loading gpx a few times. It loads, I can see it on the Garmin Training Centre on my laptop. So I know it is on the 500. But entering the 500 it doesn't show. The gpx.xml does.
    www.greatbritishbikerides.com has some gpx routes which I want to use but can't load onto the 500.

Never heard of 'a trick' USB cable but will keep my eye out.
  • Remedy 7 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have tried loading gpx a few times. It loads, I can see it on the Garmin Training Centre on my laptop. So I know it is on the 500. But entering the 500 it doesn't show. The gpx.xml does.
    http://www.greatbritishbikerides.com has some gpx routes which I want to use but can't load onto the 500.

Never heard of 'a trick' USB cable but will keep my eye out.

Your computer is "helping" you as it is recognising the gpx file as a type of xml file which it is.
    Unfortunately your garmin will not recognise a renamed xml file as a gpx.

The simple solution is to rename the file to something.gpx and remove the xml extension.
    Are you using windows or a mac, whichever you may need to change your file behaviour in the system setting so that it lets you rename files correctly.
  • remedy_7
    It's confusing stuff. Garmin forum, the admin, say it reads .gpx
    Everyone who has a 500 says it does not.

After a lot of Googling -
    Uploaded .gpx file to bikeroutetoaster. Downloaded back to computer as .tcx
    It now shows on my 500. I can see the profile and map. Just need to ride to see if it works. Not sure if it will give turn by turn indications.

Bikeroutetoaster - Don't have to download software or even register. Very nice.

What a headache. The 500 was the biggest seller. Nearly all sites/route guides use .gpx and the 500 doesn't!!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No navigation on the 500, so no turn by turn stuff, just a dotted line to follow. You need an 800/810/1000 for navigation.
  • Very hard to go wrong w/ the Garmin etrex 20 IMO. Bikepacking with rechargeable cycling computer limits your range which is the heart of the bikepacking experience. Almost all food resupply businesses will have AA batts used in the etrex. Off road the ability to Show a GPX track & you position on the screen is the only bells & whistles most bikepackers use.
    As for the 500 you already have, if you can get it to work for you that one very light/compact backup.
  • As for interesting bits on the ride, don't get your hopes up. long slogs up, chalky and fast but open and non tech downhills.
  • remedy_7
    The original post is two years old. But thanks anyway.

A lot has changed since then. At least for me.
    The Garmin 500 didn't work out. I went with a guide book which had OS maps in it. Tore out the written and photo pages for a nice lightweight OS map of the whole route. I marked the taps on it. Paper is still the best way.

Phone data is much cheaper now. So Google earth with GPS is excellent. Only turned on when lost or confused.

Portable battery banks are now cheap.

I have done it a few times so I now know the way without a map. The new detour, for bikes, outside of Winchester is not recommended.

Interestingly, my new head torch has made the most difference. 1300 lumens means I can see far ahead and not ride at slow speed, map in hand, trying to find a turning.

Last did it in August. Finished. Train strike. Busses don't take bikes. Had to cycle an extra 30 miles.........