HG-X chain explain

divingmoose
divingmoose Posts: 540
edited November 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys
I have a 10spd xt double chainset and it talks about the HG-X chain only to be used. What's the difference between that and a sram chain please and why is it specific about the right one to use
Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's a Shimano chain - why would they recommend the competition?

I'd get a KMC and screw them both.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    the hg-x chain, shimano say has optimised inner and outer plates to improve shifting when used with hg-x chainrings/cassette.

Ive ran a shimano chain on an xt cassette and the replacement kmc x10 chain works fine, not noticed any difference between them.

hopefully the kmc chain lasts longer than the shimano chain and you get a proper link connector than those silly joining pins used on shimano chains.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I quite like Shimano XT 10 speed chains. Shimano 9 speed are weak but I haven't managed to break a 10 speed one yet. SRAM 10 speed aren't as strong.
  • I've got a HG-X chain on. Swapped the original over last year myself using the pin included with the chain. It lasted 6 weeks before it came apart. I got a replacement and took it into my lbs to get it fitted 'properly', again using the pin included. It lasted 1 ride, I noticed the plates pulling apart halfway round the ride (they'd also fitted it the wrong way around, it was a directional chain). Took it back and they re-fitted it with a quick link and it's been fine since. Have bought some quick links for myself as this is the way forward it seems. Though I've just bought a spare chain and have gone for KMC as these get good reviews.